Should We Pull a UCONN in a Worst Case Scenario?

When UT and OU leave, if the B12 backfills and adds AAC schools but we get left out, we should consider protecting our hoops program at all costs, even if football is unfortunate collateral damage.

If we could get hoops in the Big East and drop to a lower conference, indy, or even FCS for football we seriously should consider it.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Interesting. Yeah we probably would get blocked by TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, and others from joining the Big 12.

They’d rather add USF, who I’m not a huge fan as an AAC team.

Probably add Cincy, BYU, UCF and Boise or USF.

Cause the Big 12 schools want the Houston/Texas kids to themselves. And elevating UofH is a no no apparently

Stupid. If Cincy, UCF leaves. It’s basically us and Memphis and a bunch of stiffs. It would be time to bolt

1 Like

Yes. Without a question.

1 Like

Yessss

1 Like

no… not a chance

the conference getting easier means easier path to the playoffs… the playoff expansion makes all of this less subsequent … in all likelyhood smu and memphis will remain in the league …so the aac will still be viable

2 Likes

The AAC for football just doesn’t do it for me. All the good coaches eventually leave. (Rhule, Herman, Frost, Willie Taggart, Mike Norvell, Josh Heupel). Yes, some of these haven’t worked out. But they had great teams in the AAC.

We are the minor leagues for P5 conferences. They rob us of all our good coaching talent

1 Like

thats with the old system… he playoff era we will have access no matter who is left …in all likely hood be left out means more playoff invites

1 Like

If the Big 12 wants to play hardball. Then we should consider the PAC 12 for all sports or Big East for Basketball only.

Our basketball team is elite. And will be til CKS retires.

I’m tired of the ECU, Tulsa, Tulane games for Football and Basketball. We are a better program. We shouldn’t be playing teams like that, in my opinion

I think the annual money coming from a P5 conference would outweigh the potential benefit of more playoff appearances in a lesser conference.

1 Like

i agree, the OP asked that if we werent picked for the big 12.,. should we abandon the aac, trying to get in the big east and football as an indy…
i just notted if we were left out (not our choice)…we could ultimately end up in a better situation if we wernt picked and we stayed in the aac… we cant turn down an invite

1 Like

Got it–I misunderstood the context.

I agree.

Even if it would be easier and reasonably possible we’ve still only had one season in the last twenty years that would have been good enough to make the playoff under the proposed 12 team format.

If UCF and Cincy left our tv deal would probably get torn up and drop by a decent bit. Football would become even more of a money loser and the dream of upgrading would probably officially be dead.

The real nightmare would be something like those two, Memphis and Boise/BYU joining the Big 12.

I’d rather go all in on hoops if we can in either scenario, but especially the latter.

But I’m also hopeful that we’re part of the Big 12 retool.

hisotrical data is meaningless… the 12 team playoff gives us access to houston recruits weve never had before…and losing 2 of the league tops teams would also make it even easier …and the 12 team playoof gives us a more realsitic chance at keeping successful coaches

also everyone hated the length of the tv deal, but its works in the conference favor…espn rarely destroys contracts, normally slightly or marginally decreases the value…the old big east deal remained in tact despite losing 95% of the members from when signed…

to me there is no scenerio where abandoing football would make any sense at all… my worst case is strengthing the league basketball and stocking up on basketball only schools like vcu, dayton and st louis

1 Like

What does that buy you? 10 years? The football schools make so much more money than the Big East it really isn’t fair. Schools like Auburn and LSU are dominating the recruiting circuit because of they have so much money and its only going to get worse.

Zero reason to keep our football program in the AAC. Just bail. And focus on basketball.

1 Like

scholarship limits…and they already get the top recruits… we werent recruiting with uaburn to begin with money seperation means nothing

again conference champions get automatic bids in to playoff… the idea that we’d abandon a conference that has access to the playoffs is non sensical to me…
we dont need to our recruit bama or oregon, we just have to out recruit memphis and tulsa

1 Like

In basketball or football? I’m completely lost in this thread. Were you arguing to stay in the AAC or try to bail to a basketball conference. Because I support staying in the AAC.

1 Like

lol i wasnt sure what you meant…

My bad not sure if I accidentally sent t that as a reply to your post. Meant it more as general response to OP. I guess what I was trying to say is that the gap between the P5 schools and the BE is only going to continue to widen and in a few years it will be relegated to a lesser status.