Shoutout to Kelvin Sampson for keeping UH on the map while football’s been down

COOGS ARE #1 IN THE COUNTRY

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll

16 Likes

Has football ever been ranked #1 in our history, come to think of it maybe in run and shoot years then we got embarrassed on National tv by Texas I can’t remember maybe we were #3 and got our tails whipped?

2 Likes

1967 week 4 is the highest we ever got and that was #2.

4 Likes

1967 is correct. #2 after beating Michigan St. 37-7 at their stadium.

When the team returned over 10,000 greeted them at Hobby Airport.

3 Likes

I thought we were #2 going to Austin that one year during R&S.

I wish our fans had that same kind of support for our teams these days.

1 Like

I think we were number 3 at least in 1 poll by this

1 Like

We were ineligible for the Coaches Poll, so you are correct.

The 1990 team never was #2.

The highest ranking after Bowl Games was our 1976 team, which finished #4.

During regular season 1967 was our highest ranked team at #2.

Look at me.

I was replying to a poster that thought we were #3 in one poll in 1990 and confirmed that. The poster directly above my last post.

Yep, #3 in 1990 until we weren’t.

That was a bad day.

You need to point that we were under a ut/ncaa induced probation. ut had “implants” working for the ncaa, speak about corruption to the highest level.
We also had a reduced roster.
This 1990 team is IMO one/if not the very best team we ever had. To finish 10-1 is truly remarkable.

That was a great team.

I think the one in 1989 was a bit better though. It seems like the offense was almost as strong, but the defense was significantly better. The two losses that year (at A&M by 3, and at Arkansas by 6) were extremely close, and IIRC, UH pretty much blew everyone else out.

These ut/ncaa induced probations killed us.
Can anyone of us imagine what Mr. Pardee and Jenkins could have achieved without these probations? IMO we would have won the National Championships multiple times.

1 Like

When UH got reemed, steamed and dry cleaned at Miami in 1991, UH was #10 and Miami was #3.

That was a day, if you experienced it, will live in UH infamy.

I 100% experienced it. What we did in the 1990 season with the bottom barralled resources that we had is IMO the best HC we ever had. Most teams would have had a 50/50 record. John Jenkins genius with his players full support got us to 10-1. REMARKABLE does not define it. Remember we came back from that loss.
The 1991 season finally caught up with us and it proves it by its record. We had nothing or very little left. To even have four wins is another great testament to Mr. John Jenkins coaching.

1 Like

Actually, what you’re referring to happened in 1990, one season before 1991, not that you don’t make a solid point.

1 Like