Signing Day X2

It is not the point I was making.
You either perform on the field or you don’t. This is valid at all levels. I have been around players that had the best abilities. They never made it to the pros. You have pro players that never live up to the expectations.
utau only has themselves to blame. At this point this is way past the HC. The prima donna mentality is imbedded. That is now a fact.
Thinking that four or five stars gets you everything only gets you to fail. Again and again this is not a video game.

Years ago I mentioned to Coach Yeoman it looked like we had recruited a good group of players. He replied “coach, right now they are a bunch of names. They aren’t players until the lights go on.”

He called everyone coach

5 Likes

You guys are way behind. 247sports has already created:
247sports “College Team Talent” ranking

Realizing transfers are now a significant part of recruiting 247sports has developed the “College Team Talent” rankings which includes everyone on a roster. It originates with the 247 composite, so it is based on the star system

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footba…erence=AAC

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footba…Composite/

https://247sports.com/college/houston/Ar…149823255/

1 Like

Somewhere deep within the thread on “79th rated recruiting class” that was revealed, discussed, debated, then either ignored or used as data for more opinions

2 Likes

OK, I’ll bite.

So if UH is truly ranked #1 in terms of “team talent” in the AAC, then why have we underachieved to such a degree?

Is it a coaching thing? Just asking!

There are flaws in that ranking and at this point, it doesn’t matter what the data is because everyone is dug in…

You’ll get some that will complain, wail and cry that we suck and Dana sucks and this is proof
You’ll get some that will be unbiased and analytical about it
and
You’ll get some that will pump sunshine.

Those that fit into the three categories have already defined themselves, with many that wouldn’t put themselves in the correct category.

When you adjust to reflect the total # of players bias, the rankings within the AAC seem to be pretty reflective of the level of the originally recruited talent as follows:

#1 - Cincinnati - 84.39
#2 - UCF - 84.12

#3 - UH - 83.66
#4 - Memphis - 83.35
#5 - SMU - 82.97

#6 - ECU - 82.41
#7 - Tulane - 82.14
#8 - Tulsa - 81.19

This seems to be fairly well reflected by the on-the-field results. Our talent level is rated fairly close to the talent level at Memphis & SMU but falls somewhat behind the talent level at Cincinnati & UCF.

And yet we can’t consistently beat any of them?

Star rankings are silly. Our highest draft pick since the star ranking started was a five star and that shows it is just broken.

We have the fifth best average class score and that sucks. Some of us will defend it and that is great, but it still sucks. Chances are if we did add 5-10 more players that our average would drop. And that sucks too.

Resetting expectations burns. Yes we got 5 transfers, and yeah maybe we got a load of transfers just waiting to show up this summer. But expecting a 6 or 7 win team is maybe on the high end and that sucks.