SMU raking it in - Recruiting

I think by TV value he meant showing more of our games on national TV. Not necessarily an increase in TV payout from espn.

1 Like

the playoffs is not for 3 years, we probably need a few years to increase our value in the playoff and you negotiate tv deals 2 years before it expiries (if you intended to stay with the same network).

having it shorter might actually be bad,ā€¦ espn could lock us in before we are proven contendersā€¦as is weā€™ll get 4 to 5 years with the playoff to prove our worth before going to a negotiation table

1 Like

that aswellā€¦ the aac games now have title implications

1 Like

Once again all this relies on us getting competitive again. Which Iā€™m worried we may not be able to pull off. The future of college football combined with the current state of the program has me worried for the schools future.

I think an actual paycheck to the players from the schools is well down the line.

In the short/near term:
College football is headed this way:

ā€œMission BBQ, the chain restaurant with locations in over fifteen states. With five different locations currently in Indiana, they decided to partner up with the Notre Dame offense line and become the official sponsor of the group.ā€

The entire ND offensive line group gets paid.

Eventually at the powerhouses (and everyone else who wants to remain relevant) every position group will get a sponsor(s) .
The more marketable individuals will get individual deals.

ā€œNotre Dame players announced the deal, which reportedly covers all 17 current offensive linemen.ā€
https://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame-fighting-irish/notre-dame-offensive-line-endorsement-nil-mission-bbq

In a city the size of Houston there should be no reason UH cant do similar Htown centric deals.

1 Like

Yes while technically, the school isnā€™t directly paying the players, it will be hard to get major sponsors for our players if we donā€™t either recruit star players or get competitive or some combination of that. It could easily turn into a vicious cycle for us if we arenā€™t careful.

1 Like

Ehā€¦Iā€™m not a lawyer, but as I understand, itā€™s sort of a gray area right now until someone tries it. The Kavanagh concurrence on NCAA v. Alston heavily implies that the Supreme Court wonā€™t allow the NCAA to limit athlete compensation, but as far as Iā€™m aware, nobodyā€™s actually (openly) testing that yet.

Cutting costs, sure. But keep in mind that Football is the ADā€™s main source of revenue, and if that drops to FCS, weā€™d be gutted, since weā€™d also have to find a new conference. Thereā€™s not really a scenario where ā€œcutting costsā€ could mean FCS membership. Itā€™d be more lucrative to take our lumps and let some P5 teams pay us for body bag games. Failing that, the entire AD is probably shuttered.

So basically a scenario where we stay in FBS but are basically irrelevant because we canā€™t afford to compete and canā€™t afford to drop downā€¦ yeesshh thatā€™s almost worse than going FCS.

To be clear, I donā€™t think that scenario is particularly likely, either ā€“ most of our Public FBS peer institutions as far as enrollment size goes arenā€™t really terrible at football. Iā€™m not penciling us in for a National Championship, but we do have over 10k more students than UConn and over quadruple Idahoā€™s student population. Bottom-feeding probably isnā€™t in the cards for us, over the long term.

I resent the dissing of my beloved alma mater on whose football team I played tight end.

Go Iowa Vandals! Fight Vandals Fight! Iā€™ll never forget when we upset Norther Iowa.

2 Likes

This time next year we will definitely know if this was only a Cash Grab for CDH or if he is methodically building a powerhouse, despite our concerns from the outside.

I only seeing it being one of those two options for CDH.

I can only assume CDH is going after big fish, otherwise the smaller fish would have bit on the hook and committed by now.

Why choose SMU or any school in the American over Alabama. Makes no sense really.

It blows my mind to see the private/religious schools recruit better than us (SMU), and put the effort in to maintain a solid program (TCU).

UH football has gone downhill after 2015 & 2016 seasons.

1 Like

SMU is a better academic school than Alabama.
SMU has a nicer campus than Alabama.
SMU is in a bigger city than Alabama with more post playing opportunities.
SMU is in a more popular more powerful state than Alabama.
SMU has more wealthy alums than Alabama and Iā€™m guessing a higher endowment.

Alabama is a better football school than SMU.

3 Likes

No he isntā€¦Nonsense to claim some kid is higher rated than Eric Dickerson wasā€¦12th in country? PLEASEā€¦Dickerson was THE top RB in Americaā€¦

5 Likes

Idk you should ask Alton McCaskill

1 Like

If you are not trolling you certainly sound like it. Which Coogfans donā€™t think weā€™ll be able to compete again? That doesnā€™t sound like a fan or somebody being realistic, it sounds like a troll or somebody given up. Just look at our BBall program, people had given up on it too but now weā€™re final four. UH football will be back!

3 Likes

I disagree on the campus comparison. SMUā€™s campus is not nicer than Alabama. Their fraternity row is something out of a movie with mini old school mansions across from the stadium. SMU has a nice campus, but not any better than Alabama. Alabama is also in a small town where SMU feels a little like Rice nestled in a very nice part of town.

I canā€™t wait for football to start because many here are in a negative funk about the program. Did any of you think Levine recruited a team that would later beat OU and FSU athletes? No. It all comes down to our offense getting their mojo and the defense should be solid.

3 Likes