SCOUTING THE TIGERS
- Memphis is entering its 20th season under Head Coach Brooks Monaghan.
- The Tigers closed out their 2018 slate with a 17-4-0 overall record, including a 7-2–0 second place finish in American Athletic Conference play.
- Memphis returns 17 members, including six starters, of the 2018-19 team and welcomes seven newcomers this season.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN HURRICANE
- Tulsa is entering its 12th season under Head Coach Kyle Cussen.
- The Golden Hurricane finished out their 2018 season with a 7-10-1 overall record, including a 3-6-0 finish in American Athletic Conference play.
- Tulsa returns 17 letterwinners of the 2018-19 squad and welcomes eight newcomers this season.
With the win today Houston jumped 4 teams in the standings. Tied for 5th.
Kind of crazy jump for the Coogs. They went from 0-4 in conference to 3-5 and tied with SMU. A win Thursday would clinch a spot in the conference tourney (top 6 make it).
Unfortunately, two of the teams behind the Coogs (UCONN and Temple) play each other as well which means one of them will probably win and get to 10 points. Even more unfortunate, the Coogs would lose a any tiebreakers if they end up tied with either team so a tie probably wouldn’t work (this includes 3 or 4 way tiebreakers where ECU would be involved as the Coogs goal differential is much lower than any of the other teams). So, barring a tie between UCONN and Temple, the Coogs have to beat SMU on Thursday…a spot they’ve been in for the past 2 years and failed.
Hopefully, this year will be the year they break through.