Southern Miss

Last time they were relevant was when they best us at home in 2011 for the cusa championship. I think we are all over that loss now but if they were invited to AAC instead of say Tulsa or Tulane would their fortunes have changed,?

2 Likes

I don’t know if CoogNation is over it. The Sumlin haters always point to that CUSA Championship game as justification for their feelings.

As to joining the AAC instead of Tulsa or Tulane, I’d rather have Tulsa or Tulane.

6 Likes

S Miss was a thorn for us so I’d rather they stay in cusa. I hated them most as a rivalry.

3 Likes

They fired the man who had been their head coach at the time. They are no longer near as good.

3 Likes

We don’t speak of them. Ever!

2 Likes

Yup. Larry Fedora went to UNC. Then they fired Bowers, who I thought was a pretty good coach. They’ve been pretty mediocre ever since…

2 Likes

Bottom line is that it is not a good place to travel to and spend time at like New Orleans for example. Tulane has been better than USM lately…

3 Likes

Plus Smiss isn’t a big market that the AAC likes and if they were elevated, they would recruit better and be our problem again. They really liked beating us and messing us up. We have enough good teams in our conf.

1 Like

Tough rivalry loss. It’s like UNM winning at TX Tech. Coach Hopson is in his fifth year with a 28-23 record. Three bowls in four years. Maybe they’re losing head to head recruiting vs Tulane. Going transfer and JUCO route.

Todd Monken left USM in 2015 after a 9-5 year and 7-1 in conference. Lost to U-Dub in Dallas Bowl.

Let’s see how TX State does relative to USM with less fan support.

1 Like

That’s backwards. They fired Bower to hire Fedora.

8 Likes

Jeff Bower. There was a time that I felt we should hire him after Southern Miss fired him. He was amazingly consistent in recruiting and performance. Then I wanted wanted Willie Fritz. Now, I want David Gibbs.

I never get what I want.

6 Likes

Seems they went cheap after Monken left.

1 Like

Gibbs makes $800k as CB coach at Missouri.

1 Like

The AD (and school for that matter) is broke and has been for years.

I wish Tulane and Tulsa weren’t in our conference but I wouldn’t trade them for USM.

1 Like

Although they stayed in the same conference, that conference isn’t as good now as it was then and they have slipped. Their market size is tiny even compared to NO and Tulsa…

They were a great rival with very good teams from our CUSA days. But market size counts so much going forward and they don’t cut it on that front.

1 Like

I would argue that Tulsa is more broke. They are cutting everywhere.

1 Like

It’s a tough call but southern miss would win out. More students means more eyeballs on tv.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are both in pretty bad shape. I don’t expect either to make it back to previous heights in football.

3 Likes

Tulsa is the smallest school in D1 and is broke with little support. USM is in the middle of nowhere and lost their momentum. At one point MSState and Ole Miss wanted no part of them. Now, they have to go with JUCO’s and left overs.

Both will be in real financial trouble soon.

1 Like

Financial distress is part of the college landscape going forward, some much more than others.