Southwest Conference Revisionists History Beware

Did you read my post about madcowsu high jacking the SWC then the BIG and finally the BIG12? They should never have been allowed to but madcowsu controls the Texas politics. The madcowsu mafia is an appropriate description.

That is not true…Where is Arkansas from? They bolted in 1991. They had enough of madcowsu running the SWC.
All schools from Texas?
What is the size of Texas?
What is the size of sec?
Around 1991 the SWC could have easily expanded its “borders” It did not. The sec on the other hand expanded with South Carolina and Arkansas…I wonder why?
Oh yes right around 1991 the SEC coveted U of H. Who stopped us? I will let you guess.

This brings us to 2023. We are now in a Power Conference again. For the first time since our independent days madcowsu is not on our backside. They/madcowsu wanted the BIG12 to go away like the SWC did. It did not. History will mark their decision to join the sec as the worst one they ever made,

1 Like

Coveting and actually inviting are 2 very different things. Was an official invitation made in 1991? And if it was why is it someone else’s fault if we chose not to accept it? How could anyone have “forced” UH from accepting an offer to join the SEC?

For Arkansas, we have the words of Frank Broyles himself. He said the move was all about money, not once did he say it was because they wanted to get away from UT.

In fact in an interview with Mike Looney for his book The Big Shootout, Broyles said the SEC money was just too good to pass up! He had in his office a framed picture of the $6M check that the SEC sent him the day Arkansas joined the SEC! That was more than the full
year payout that the SWC was sending Arkansas!

Broyles also said that as the only non-Texas school they felt on the outside looking in.

I have no problem hating the school in Austin but the reasons you list are not why.

Re your points about SWC being proactive and expanding with schools outside the state, at that time the conference was so toxic because of probation and NCAA troubles, I doubt anyone would have wanted to join. Also who should SWC have added? All the major schools in the states bordering Texas were already taken by Big 8 or SEC. Expansion with New Mexico schools made no sense.

UH being left out when the SWC collapsed, was because of a combination of factors. The most important one being lack of political support. BU and TT had it, UH didn’t!

1 Like

Wasn’t the story that Bovine U bullied the Aggies into staying and SEC said they were not taking just UH?

TCU and Tech, too. By the 90s, most of the SWC had no business being in a major conference. From 1985 to 1995, with the exception of 1994 (where A&M was ineligible so literally half of the conference shared the title) the only schools to win even a share of the SWC title were Texas, A&M, and Arkansas.

1 Like

Even if that was a “story” NO official invite ever went out.

Not in the 50s, not in the 70s, and not in the 90s.

Never happened.

Just like we were never “negotiating” to join the PAC, and were never “vetted” by the B1G, despite assertions to that effect on this board in the past.

1 Like

Retired_consultant are you new to coogfans?
It seems like you are. If you are not you purposely omit what has been written about the sec wanting to add U of H prior to us joining the SWC in 1976 and around 1990. Your avatar says retired consultant. Let me ask you the following:
Are negotiations made public when a contract is not signed?
What good would it be for the sec that they indeed wanted to invite U of H/made it public but some other factors came in?
I will ask you again. Your avatar says you are a retired consultant.
When was the last time negotiations were exposed when resulting in a non contract?
Anybody making the following argument:
“because we do not have a black and white copy of a contract it means this was not real”
Has never been in business, employed in the business sector or has been part of a business negotiation. It is not only naive but showcases a basic lack of business knowledge.

Regarding the SWC send a pm to coog51. He will send you what the now retired Kansas State A.D. (KS or another BIG8 A.D.) explaining how madcowsu highjacked the SWC and BIG8 illegally bypassing the SWC and BIG8 commissioners.
You can point out that Arkansas loved the money but you fail, on purpose to illustrate how Arkansas was fed up with madcowsu over the years.
It is highly documented that madcowsu wanted to “blow up” the SWC in the late 80’s/early 90’s. After the media rights ruling in 1984 all conferences were in a volatile situation/condition including the sec and SWC. madcowsu ran the SWC as their “dictator” It would not take a genius to imagine that the SWC should have expanded its footprint. It did not. Why do you think that is?
Oh yes…YOU forgot to mention Nebraska. Why did they leave the BIG12? Do you want me to write madcowsu again? Indeed they could not stand them.

P-S: should U of H get a share of the PUF?

As I said.

NO invite.

Ever.

law you are a lawyer. Business is not your arena. You do not know how business works. Don’t pretend. You have no clues.

1 Like

As a lawyer would say.

Show me the EVIDENCE in the form of an invite in writing.

No evidence, no proof.

No proof, no case.

Case dismissed.

Incidentally, uhlaw97 also has two business degrees.

Then you did not retain anything.
As a famous commie would say:
Show me a man and I will show you a crime.
You have never been in business negotiations law. Many of us here on coogfans have. The case that you can dismiss is to pretend you know about business. Business degrees are a diploma. Unless you have worked in the business/private sector and been involved in business negotiations you can’t relate. This is not your area. Your business knowledge is dismissed.

1 Like

You’ve never worked in ANY area of law, much less business negotiation law, as you have no law degree or license in the field.

So come off that.

NEXT!!!

I asked you if you have ever been in business negotiations. You have not. Don’t pretend to be. You are in law. You are not in the private sector negotiating deals.
“so come off that” What is this?

No, you said THIS.

My response: NEITHER HAVE YOU!!!

Nor have you ever been in ANY area of law, much less business negotiation law, as you have neither the license, nor the education required to be in such.

NEXT!!!

Let me rephrase it law. Your statement “no proof no case” is 100% flawed for the reasons that I mentioned.
Let me rephrase it that way:
Have you ever been in the private sector negotiating with clients?
NO, don’t pretend to know how “real” negotiations work. Real is not what is being taught in school. Do you understand the difference?

Do you understand that the lack of a formal invite in writing means that UH NEVER received an invite to the SEC?

Do you understand that in order for UH to “negotiate” a conference move requires a public meeting and formal approval from the Board giving the UH prez that authority, and that that never happened with the PAC?

Do you understand that the B1G never even so much as SNIFFS, much less “vets” any school for membership other than ND that isn’t AAU?

Do you UNDERSTAND any of that?

Perhaps not.

Because if you did, then you might better understand why we can safely DISMISS any assertions involving UH to that effect, given the above.

Do you understand what negotiations means? NO
You have no clues. Negotiations by nature/by definition are secret. If it was public that would not be a negotiation. Your business degree should have at least taught you that. You clearly do not understand.

If you have to constantly rephrase then either your original point is already majorly flawed, your communication is bad, or you continually move the goal post.

Quit while you’re behind.

You have no proof to anything you claimed here so give it up.

Did I ask you anything? Yes I did. Are you for U of H to get a PUF share?

That’s the beauty of public discourse, anyone can call you out when you’re wrong instead of allowing you to propagate untruths.