Southwest Conference Revisionists History Beware

Very interesting. So the deal was almost signed, sealed, and delivered but A&M backed out. I wonder what deal A&M cut with UT.

Also the fact that UH on its own was not considered worthy of SEC membership says a lot.

It’s also telling that money was the driving factor.

Right? What right?
When did one school had the right to blow up a conference?
NONE It was indefensible then and it is indefensible now.
Never would they have done it then in the sec, pac, acc, BIG8 or other conference.
Make no mistakes about it. When madcowsu and OU bolted to the sec their intent was for the BIG12 to implode. Without saying it by all accounts this was announced in every sports pages. Bowlsby had the guts to counter espn and madcowsu. madcowsu never expected this to happen.

You talk about business but you apparently know nothing about it if you take this view.

1 Like

moncoog or monhorn? Do you or do you not want U of H to get a share of the PUF?

Ok what you have preferred they do? Sink with the SWC?

What they expected or didn’t expect to happen when they bolted is immaterial to them. It did work out nicely for UH, at least in the short term.

In the long term it’s going to be SEC/B1G leaving everyone in the dust. So I doubt UT/OU care that the Big 12 survived.

this is America, all about the $$$…we better be ready for the next wave of realignment, its not over yet

Sink with the SWC?
No but what they should have done was to do a full merger with the BIG8. That is what the BIG8 wanted. madcowsu did not? Why do you think that is? The end result was:
Kick us out to the curb
Nebraska bolting to the big10
atm bolting to the sec.

I appreciate the history lessons, some good, some not so good, but all entertaining. I was at UH during the 1970s and followed all of this closely, so I am familiar with the history.

Rather than rehash the demise of the SWC and sing “Auld Lang Syne”, my focus is the future and what we need to do to be competitive in the B12. If I am going to expend energy, I might as well make it positive and productive energy.

4 Likes

That is very well said.

This is great stuff. Very eye opening of how shrewd and cutthroat this business is.

But you keep going back to the past over over over ad nauseum. Move frwd Chris. Better times are ahead for the Coogs.

ESPN didn’t want more than 4. And it’s never a good idea to go against wishes of those writing the checks.

The stinky rodent? What about the other networks? No excuses for madcowsu…ever.

At that time ESPN was the only big player in the sports broadcasting market. Fox and CBS became players many years later.

So it was either keep ESPN happy or lose out on a huge payday.

We were always known as the RENEGADE school to our other Texas school friends. Some jealousy, but mainly their thoughts on the school from the Third Ward.

1 Like

From the 1960’s to mid 1970’s UH played:

Kentucky, Tennessee, S. Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Miss. St.

See the trend? And it all stopped when we were invited to join The SWC.

How different things would have been with an SEC invite back then.

3 Likes

Not quite. CBS has had a contract with the sec since when until last year?

That Davalos quote presumably came right after Arkansas announced their departure. If things had moved differently and earlier, or we’d seen just a little further ahead, we could have been part of the conversation of an eastern conference with Miami when there was a chance that such a conference would be formed outside the Big East’s auspices. It probably would have suffered the same fate as the old BE in the end, but would have been a power-equivalent and that would have given us time to improve the aspects of our athletics program that needed improving.

(Though if we’re going to talk alt histories, if we’d gotten serious as quickly as TCU got serious, we’d be in much better shape right now. Our time in the wilderness wasn’t just a matter of timing and luck.)

2 Likes

Of course it wasn’t! It was all because madcowsu decided we needed to be held down! It’s the only thing stopping us from being the greatest dynasty in college football history!

There was never going to be an SEC invite without AAU.

1 Like