Speed

My take.
I have been following UH football since 1969. When Houston has had strong teams we had lots of speed. UH has only 2 fast wr’s - Dell and Golden. We line up in a 3 wr and 1 te formation. We can only line up at most 2 fast wr’s! We need more speed so we can line up 3 fast wr’s and 1 te.
We need more speed at wr.

6 Likes

We have speed, its just really young. Cody Jackson, CJ Guidy, and CJ nelson are all burners, but all three are varying degrees of freshman. Guidry is getting concerning as you would hope he would start to see the field a bit in his 3rd year in the program. Co Jo is a RS freshman, and playing alot, but its quite clear his inexperience hurts him. Plus I believe he still recovering from a severe injury last year (correct me if Im wrong) CJ nelson is contributing on multiple special teams as a true freshman, and can be a good player for us going forward. Nelson especially has legit track speed. I think we all expected a lot out of these WRs and I do think they all have very bright futures, but unfortunately they just aren’t ready yet. But I have been very happy with Manjack and Golden. We have struggled to get them the ball, but you can see it when we do they are gonna be great

I have wondered in the first 3 games with Tune holding the ball are the WR’s not getting open or is he just indecisive with the football.

2 Likes

Just my opinion as my background is as an OL/TE, but it looks to be a bit of it all. There are times when dawson is calling plays that are way to slow to develop, there are times that the WRs just aren’t winning their matchups, and there are some times that Tune is holding the ball too long.

2 Likes

Both. Routes are garbage and unimaginative. Tune definitely holds on too long. Combo of both routes and the inability to separate. IMO

1 Like

My opinion is that Manjack is faster than you think he is. No, he is not elite track speed, but I have watched him in person and he definitely has above average speed. He also is a very good route runner and knows how to get separation from the defenders.

1 Like

Pretty sure Guidry’s first fall was last season as he was on Shadow Creek team my son’s team played in fall 2020.

2 Likes

You’re right, maybe he graduated early or something and that’s what I’m thinking of.

1 Like

Completely agree about speed! If I recall, we once had a coach that said speed can make up for poor coaching/it’s the ultimate equalizer. Yeah I def believe that.

I think our players have speed but we have VERY medicore playcalling from Dawson…we need some innovative playcalling, mediocre playcalling has Tune wait all day and cant find someone open, then pocket collapses

Shannon Dawson needs to step down and Holgy has to call plays again. Night and Day difference between last years playcalling. Still want Holgy gone but dont see that happening, so he better start calling plays again

1 Like

He’s locked on to his primary and doesn’t look anywhere else, so if the primary is covered, he either panics and runs or holds on and gets sacked.

1 Like

I’m thinking “play design” . . . . . creative play design helps get receivers open, and helps open holes in the O-line . . . . .

It’s play design and coaching. We ran quite a few nice screens to Henry. Misdirection screens. The quick screens to the wide receivers didn’t gain anything, mainly because our WRs can’t really block (that’s coaching). Seems the receivers can’t get open down field and the OL can’t protect enough for Tune either. It’s a combo of everything that’s not working.

1 Like