Spotify

Joe Rogan or Neil Young

Neil Young posted a since-deleted letter to his management team and record labeldemanding that they remove his music from Spotify. “I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines – potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them,” he wrote. “Please act on this immediately today and keep me informed of the time schedule.”

“I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform,” he continued. “They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young. Not both.” Young is referencing the steady stream of misinformation about vaccines that Joe Rogan has peddled on The Joe Rogan Experience . Last month, 270 doctors, physicians, and science educators signed an open letter asking Spotify to stop spreading Rogan’s baseless claims.

Thanks spotify. This cancel culture has to go.

3 Likes

Can you believe the Neil Young arrogance?
Good for you Spotify.
Thank you for posting JohnnyCougar.

2 Likes

I feel like this is one of the ultimate fake taking of a stands. Spotify is notorious for paying artists peanuts, and they are heavily invested in Rogan. Young is already plenty wealthy therefore will not miss the peanuts Spotify pays him when Spotify makes the obvious choice and protects their investment. Maybe it was a way to get his stuff off Spotify without breaking a contract.

Yeah right. This is it. Man is Neil Young clever or what. He probably read “How to annul a contract” by the house of dummys esquires.

The point is… That this was clearly a fight he wasn’t going to win. He knew it and Spotify knew it. There was no way on this planet Spotify was going to flush even for a second a 100 million investment in Rogan. It’s moral grandstanding. But I always assume people with lots of money have ulterior motives. Because they often do. Maybe it really is just as simple as a sincere “Look at me everybody, look how morally courageous I am, though I have literally have nothing on the line.”

1 Like

They may pay them peanuts, but I have been to many concerts and bought numerous vinyl from new artists I have discovered on Spotify. Radio sucks and Spotify and like services are the only way that emerging artists get any play at all.

Say what?
Neil Young is the one that dictated Spotify what to do not the other way around. Young thought he could DEMAND what he wanted. Arrogance and young deserve each other.

1 Like
3 Likes

Absolutely brilliant.
“Go after the man. The real one that is”

So Joe Rogan right and Neil Young wrong?

What’s going on here?

People forget, Rogan was a Bernie Bro

1 Like

This really isn’t about Rogan.

Joe is a singular point of failure for narrative control. As they marginalize every other such voice, people flock to Rogan. Shutting Joe down—and preventing future Joes by threatening platforms—is about protecting power from scrutiny. Permanently.

1 Like

Exactly. The UK and other European countries lifting sanctions is the last thing that “they” wanted to see happen. BUT it is happening.

I see it as Young versus Rogan, not the entire platform. It’s about the message. I don’t see a slippery slope. I see supply and demand playing out.

Let’s not not forget about the message, the context and the nuance. It’s not all about tactics.

To use an example:
Property was destroyed during the George Floyd protests and on January 6, 2021. The motives and messages were not the same.

Sounds like it is about the platform.

In a statement he posted to his website reiterating his opposition to Spotify’s misinformation policy, Young added: “I support free speech. I have never been in favor of censorship. Private companies have the right to choose what they profit from, just as I can choose not to have my music support a platform that disseminates harmful information.”

I think he could have found a better way to protest. He and Mitchell have made their millions. By trying to bring down Spotify, they are potentially depriving many unheard artists a platform for getting their music heard.

Spotify is not going down. And if it does, it won’t be because Joni Mitchell or Neil Young won’t play their songs on there.

1 Like

Still think he’s just trying to stay relevant.

He produces a good song every 3 years. Last 2 were Ordinary People and I’m the River. I’m the River remains one of my workout songs. He made that with Pearl Jam

I go back to the beginning with Young. Big fan.

I respectfully disagree. It seems to me it’s something like telling the NCAA it’s either it’s either us or Baylor. The problem isn’t the NCAA. The problem is Baylor.

But it’s tip-off so Go Coogs!

1 Like