Stadium design flaws

A SDSU game attendee points out probs with stadium, including dangerous conditions in the heat. An issue we know all too well :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Idk why we have open stadiums now with the kind of weather we have. It should’ve been planned for. I personally think that instead of a cougar the money should be put towards a roof. Fans won’t stay 4 hours sitting in an oven so it’ll never look full, or just negotiate only night games for extreme weather condition places.

8 Likes

UH should only host night games in September.

21 Likes

$$$ about $35/sq ft extra

4 Likes

Sept to October

4 Likes

Gang,

For all this talk about we shouldn’t play day games in September, I feel the need to ask.

Don’t UT and aTm regularly pack 100K+ into their stadiums for those very types of games?

If they can do it…then I see little reason why we either can’t or shouldn’t play day games in an open, uncovered, on campus venue.

I agree that it can be absolutely miserably playing a day game in September, outdoors, but come on now.

Most schools in TX have that same problem, and I don’t see any of them complaining about it.

4 Likes

I always wondered if there could be a cheaper way to shade the stadium and an alternative to a roof. A little bit like a shade structure they put on playgrounds these days. You don’t necessarily need complete shade, but if you made a lot of shade it would help make everything a little cooler.

4 Likes

Sure seems like if they could do it 2000 years ago…
Velarium - Wikipedia.

we could do it now.

5 Likes

Sad to see the Astrodome rot away. Never have understood how you big city folks throw away perfectly good facilities because the old one bores you.

4 Likes

But don’t you understand, we’re woosies. Just kidding. Maybe 1997 (about 25 years ago) I sat in full sun on the East side at Robertson in almost 100 degrees chugging 10 bottles of water over the course of a September game against Pitt. I came away hot, tired, and alive. Today I’m 25 years older (82) and you couldn’t pay me to do that again.

7 Likes

Hearing Californians complain about 67% humidity is actually hilarious. Sounds like they are just soft.

Plenty of Texas and Southern teams regularly pack their 80,000+ capacity stadiums on hot Saturdays in the fall.

3 Likes

Are we just supposed to follow suit because they stay miserable until they decide to put a roof? How many games get postponed by rain or how many games are dangerous because of heat.

37,600 at 35sqft is 2M.

Isn’t Shasta an estimated 4M-7M?

2 Likes

Welcome to the party, pal.

1 Like

Lololololololololol

So people were upset in San Diego because there’s a heat wave. Like one poster said, “didn’t seem to bother AZ.”

SD has one of the best climates in the country. It was hot that day. The guy should have used his education to become a civil engineer instead of a Tic-Toc supervisor.

BTW - the receiver Cowing (AZ) must have been playing in the cooler end of the field. He had 152 yards receiving. He should sue the city of SD for making him run in that heat.

1 Like

Ummm…$1,316,000 actually. Can I keep the change. :slight_smile:

I have my own solution

9 Likes

the roman coliseum had articulating awnings, we should have the same.

6 Likes

:palm_tree: :palm_tree: :palm_tree:

5 Likes

I like the way Hard Rock Stadium is shaded

Design flaws? How about those stair wells at the Alamo dome.

3 Likes