Stuard

That’s fine. I disagree.

1 Like

He would be an outstanding stand-up DE (or OLB) to use his quickness on blitzing, cover RB coming out of the back field, become disruptive on running plays, or be the QB spy while dropping into crossing route coverage. As a NB the WR coverage is a struggle for him. I’m not the first to state this but his talents are misaligned in this defense.

1 Like

NO you’re picking on him!

Nope, not all. His talent is his ability to make plays nearer the LOS.

1 Like

Lol I was being sarcastic. But I agree. He’d be really good in a traditional LB role. We need to unleash him like this guy:

4 Likes

Sorry, my wife accuses me of being the most negative person on the planet. But Stewart is exactly who I was thinking would be the perfect model.

1 Like

Yes, Stewart had better ball skills but coaches let him get after the QB and he caused so many disruptions it was crazy.

3 Likes

Stuard is faster than Stewart
Stewart ran a 4.73 40 at his Pro Day

I think you might have missed my point about track speed and football speed being different. Some players are not track guys and won’t run well in the 40. What truly is important is can the NB cover. Stewart was better in coverage and playing the ball in the air. Grant is similar in the fact that he’s a great tackler, and has really high motor. Stuard is closer to a traditional LB than he is a NB.

2 Likes

I wasn’t debating or trying to refute. Just passing on information.

Information received. I was refuting it. lol One guy ran an official and the other has yet to be timed in anything other than a combine camp. Stuard might very well run a faster time in the 40 because of his track background, but he is NOT faster than Stewart on the field.

Stewart had great football IQ, something Stuard is developing but is nowhere near Stewart.
I did not make a judgement on Stewart’s speed, the NFL did, which is why he did not get one sniff.

2 Likes

Meh. I think it was more of the fact he was a tweener on a team that had plenty safeties. He played for the Chargers for a little while. We have another guy in that mold that will be eligible next season-Thabo Mwaniki. We’re going to be stacked at safety next year with an embarrassment of riches.

Adrian McDonald played for the Chargers, not Stewart. There was much tweeting that no one would even bring in Stewart to training camp

I will not be embarrassed by riches; this year we are paupers trying to get enough healthy bodies to man the secondary.

1 Like

That is a very short-sighted and not well thought out comment. High school athletse are only allowed three running events. You have to weigh total point possibilities of having an athlete run all 3 relays, versus having him run an open event. Would 1 point at the state meet in an open event matter if it means your 4x400 doesnt qualify because the drop-off to your 5th guy is too big? His sophomore year he ran sub 49 in the open 400m. Their are college 400m runners that would be thrilled to run in the 48s, and he did it his second year in high school. Im not trying to convince anyone of his football ability, but saying he isnt track fast is just plain wrong. And while you may have been involved with track for 40 years, Ive been fortunate enough to help coach Trumaine, the recent world qualifier from UH, as well as several of athletes that went on to compete at other Unoversities and make it to the national meet while they were student athletes. So while I might not have as much experience under my belt, I do feel Im qualified to vouch for this young man’s speed.

3 Likes

You are correct.

I coached with and rather good drinking buddies with one of Thabo’s former coaches at Guyer. He asked me about him last year over pool and I told him he’s sitting one. Then he told me that’s a shame because he’s in the mold of the Honey Badger. An embarrassment of riches is an understatement friend. I cant wait!:sunglasses:

1 Like

You are correct. I’m not trying to be mean but all this hype about Stuard going into the SMU game is scaring me. If he is in coverage consistently Shane B and those talented receivers will eat him alive.

2 Likes

A friend of mine played against Urlacher while at San Jose State. He was a WR so he got a good idea early on on what Urlacher was going. He was not only fast but he was a destructive tackler. Grant is getting better but he has got to improve his tackling techniques as well as his reads. Practice, practice and film room.