Sunday Musings: The Emergence of Houston

Sunday Musings: The Emergence of Houston

https://swcroundup.com/news/2019/4/20/sunday-musings-the-emergence-of-houston

Holgorsen told the media last week that his staff will visit every high school campus in Houston in the next few weeks. They’ll visit most campuses twice in that time. All that and they’ll get to drive home each night rather than catch a flight or sit in a hotel for three weeks while they trudge through the South Florida circuit. If a talented Houston kid wants to come to campus, he can hop on 45 or 10 or East Tex and be there in 30 minutes instead of catching a flight into Morgantown, Ames or Manhattan.

The TV dollars aside, Houston’s a better job when compared to the middle and lower half of the Big 12. Do you want to be the next guy to get a three year run at Kansas? Matt Campbell’s had an excellent run at Iowa State, yet he’s still under .500 against the Big 12. Third place in the league is probably his ceiling. Congratulations, you’ve hit it Matt, now try and keep up the good work. Enjoy those flights.

13 Likes

Good article and spot on.

2 Likes

Similar to the conversation on the 'OTD: ‘93 Faculty Vote…’ post. Good to see others outside the fanbase recognize how far our leadership as rebuilt athletics at UH and how bad things were. Also, why UH is a unique situation for athletics.

It seems to me the AAC has more schools in larger urban areas. Before that was perceived as a negative but IMO with the way urban centers are growing this is becoming more of an advantage.

3 Likes

Frankly, this is the kind of article that pisses off the Little 12 and especially UT as no matter what they do, we keep coming!!

Go Coogs!!

6 Likes

Great write up…anyone that thought the departure of Major was rushed didn’t watch UH football the last 2 seasons is for darn sure.

4 Likes

Great article, thanks for posting. I can remember as as kid growing up in Houston, my brother and I going to the Dome to see the Coogs play Arkansas and Texas, watching UH vs Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl, eating my Cheerios while watching the Bill Yeoman show Sunday mornings after a UH game, and the excitement of Phi Slama Jama beating talented Louisville and Memphis State teams in the NCAA.

The author’s assessment is spot on, the school has taken the long-term approach and invested in both staff and facilities. MBB is back on track with CKS at the helm, and after the success we’ve enjoyed on the gridiron in recent years with Briles, Sumlin and Herman, we hopefully have found some stability with CDH. I left Houston in 1984 after HS graduation, served in the military, but I returned in 2014 and now I’m a proud season ticket holder to both UH FB and MBB. I’m always impressed when I visit the UH campus, and I believe the accessibility, affordability, and quality of UH contribute to reputation of the city.

9 Likes

Wellsaid !
Glenn

2 Likes

EX-ACT-LY! It has always been that way, we have always been called “the little engine that COULD!” [Well, not so little anymore.]

1 Like

We’ve also been referred to as “The Sleeping Giant.”

1 Like

No more sleeping giant…we are awoke from the deep sleep and looking for food…austin steak anyone??!

1 Like

I remember that 96 football season like it was yesterday and wondered why Helton couldn’t produce those types of years throughout his tenure? The talent was there.

2 Likes

The giant was sleeping for a long time. He is waking up and stirring. Once he stands up some heads are coming off and will roll.

3 Likes

We have always said, we would have a great team if we just recruited the city of Houston well and this sounds like a step in the right direction.

2 Likes