Take aways

Why we used small 12 refs? After all, they’ve never liked us!

2 Likes

The ncaa uses officiating “crews” from one conference and “send” them to other conferences. It happens every weekend.

The ncaa wants to be unbiased toward one conference vs another but it surely does not always happen. I believe we have played against P5 opponents where the referees were form the same P5 conference.
We now have the technology to lessen as many human referees errors as possible. Is the technology used to its full intent? What do you think? We have to believe them. You always hope that human errors balance out. What I see and what our opponent sees is sometimes going to be different.
Officiating is a thankless job. The technology has to be the “great equalizer” Camera angles, camera equipment are getting better and better. This will further help referees and hopefully lessen to a great extent any human errors. I will give you one example that makes no sense to me. Why is it that we watch one game that has a “line” camera angle and one that does not? That makes no sense at all especially when the football is “breaking the plane”
Networks use sub companies to broadcast these games. Are they spending enough money to have the right equipment for a given game? That is a question that has to be answered. A minimum technology should be assured.
At the end of the day we have to be better than the opponent regardless of the officiating. That has always been true and we have to “deal with it”

I think the real problem in the game was the absence of deontay anderson, and marcus jones in the secondary. having to play without the best starters had an impact…especially in the 4th.
if they play, they break up key passes, potential even the first deep ball TD.
Uh changed it’s offense in the 4th because we fell behind, started forcing things that weren’t there…had too many 3 and outs and then the defense got worn down, especially the secondary where we were thin to start…it was a case of dominoes.
as far as individuals…bryson smith handled the return because jones was out, clearly he was out of practice and made a mental error
patrick paul is a freshman and needs game experience and emotional training
tune was great but then tried to force some things when we were behind…he will only improve in this area
no team we face this year will have BYUs talent level, or defense …
cinci might have the defense but will not rise to the same level on offense…neither memphis or ucf will play quality defense as shown yesterday. 50 to 49 score…same for smu.
this team can win the aac.

6 Likes

BYU is good but I doubt they could survive our conference with Memphis, UCF, Cincy and UH, although they are off to a 1-0 start lol

1 Like

I don’t know butch. That QB they have this year is legit.

And if your point is to say that year in and year out, every year they’d be overwhelmed by the SOS in our conference.

I agree there!!

THIS year they are legit though. We still should have one that game in my opinion.

1 Like

i dont think byu is as good as some of yall think…i get it, if you played a decent game vs byu in a loss it doesnt look that bad if you see them s great, so i get why they are being over hyped

since pregame i said their defense has inflated numbers, i still think their defense has inflated numbers–we were running on them at will to start the game (and we dont have an game breaker RBs)…we were passing on them at will in the 2nd and 3rd quarter… if we had stopped them on 3rd and 15 on their last td, i’d have felt comfortable we could have probably won the game (down 6 with 3 to play)…instead of trying to rush 2 scores in 3 minutes
this year- ucf, memphis and smu are putting up 40+ on byu

their offense is run based…we are the 1st regular sized Defense they played all year and we took their run game out for 3 quarters … their qb looked good but theyve yet to play a legit pass defense (that includes us)
not that it matters their schedule is so weak, boise is the only remote possible left on schedule

Which means neither are we. BYU was down several starters on both sides and we were down two on the O-line which Coach says still lacks depth. We probably won’t know how good BYU really is until bowl season IF they Get an NY6 matchup.

If they played an AAC schedule this year, it would be much harder than what they have. I would probably still put Cincy above them, but that would be a good game. I have not been impressed with SMU at all. Texas St hung with them, North Texas scored a ton against them, Tulane was in a dog fight with them. UCF is not as good as previous years. Memphis, we will see.

1 Like

Unlike many of you, I think we will improve as the season goes forward.

7 Likes

BYU is every bit a top 10 maybe a top 5 program.

We are a very good team. BYU was extremely good. 2 games make a difference.

All one has to do is go look at BYU’s roster and see the size of the team. We are about a yr from that size.

As the season progresses I would not be surprised if we see BYU in the New Yr 6 or talk about being a P5 buster…

1 Like

We are the best team on their terrible schedule

2 Likes

That’s right Butch, and when we win the AAC, it will look good on their resume.

6 Likes

Fair enough but you can also point out how good our offense was for two third of the game. IMO we would have scored on a ton of ranked team. This is how much we have progressed. BYU had a schedule with P5 schools. COVID-19 took it away from them. Now their schedule does not “look” as good. You can also take the same argument when you have P5 schools that have a so called very easy schedule…but they play in a P5.
This always come back to the same point. You are undefeated as an FBS Div 1 school? You belong in the cfp. Again and again this has nothing with strength of schedule. It is about the P5’s obligated to spread the “wealth” They will never do it. This is why the cartel created the BCS and the cfp.
This game is history. What we can use from it is to help us get better and keep working harder. On to Navy.

3 Likes

BYU was the only school West of El Paso who wanted to play. Most of the schedule cancelled. The schedule was great before COVID. It’s tough to hold that against a team. Props to UH for also wanting to play.

5 Likes

Agree 100%. The cartel tries to hold everyone out. There is no need to help them.

1 Like

Perhaps Top 10, but we’ll see later in the year if that bears fruit. Nevertheless, BYU has a talented team with great coaching. All we can do is continue to get better. I was encouraged about our performance for three quarters. We have to learn to finish. Not an easy task against a high caliber team.

It’s easy to analyze our mistakes, but as fans we need to understand that no team is perfect. Every team makes mistakes. BYU made mistakes, but as the game wore on they were better able to take advantage of our mistakes.

Hopefully, we’ll rebound against NAVY. We owe them a shellacking.

2 Likes

They can only play who they have on the schedule but I still think they would not win our conference

I hear a hammy

There was an issue with communication between the field and replay booth. It caused significant delays

1 Like