Texas A&M to the B1G 10?

I don’t know about second tier.

But it would cement the B1G as BY FAR the largest value conference.

In terms of caliber of play, I think that the SEC would still be up there in football.

1 Like

Texas is the obvious better fit for the B1G out of the two.

head scratcher why they went o an academic inferior , low endowment, poor region conference like the SEC WHEN they had their pick of both Conferences.

Maybe they asked for special treatment by the B1G…I’m sure they talked to both before making the move.

1 Like

As I said, profile.

10 of 18 B1G schools are of the same type (land grant).

Including my own B1G alma mater (Illinois).

Perhaps UT didn’t pursue the BIG because they knew BIG wouldn’t except Oklahoma. Just a guess.

2 Likes

Even if that was the case, wouldn’t UT + USC be a better Additive pair than USC + UCLA?

Not from USC’s perspective.

2 Likes

And I would say not from UT’s perspective either. You think UT is going to eschew the Red River Showdown every year in Dallas for the Continental Divide Showdown played in Denver CO every year?

yes…I guess USC and the B1G were OK adding a football program that barely averaged 40k a game.

If they added UCLA (large public school in Los Angeles) JUST to get into California they will consider the large public school in Houston IF they truly want into Texas

As I have pointed out before. UCLA was the PAC’s second largest brand.

2nd best in a conference you always thought was pure garbage

I never thought it was pure garbage.

But it was ranked behind the Big 12 in football and basketball from 2015-2022, and was dead last among the P5 during that period. Couldn’t even qualify a team for the football playoffs.

Not sure why you preferred that UH join it over the Big 12.

I didn’t prefer it…I didn’t care ultimately as long as we were a Power Brand…

The PAC was just in a better position to KILL a fellow Power Conference AND demote Power 5 brands.
They just failed to realize they had that power ( I never did…I yelled it as loud as I could)

Why is demoting Power 5 brands such a thing for you?

I mean, two got demoted when the PAC died, and two others got basically marginalized (Califord).

But, I don’t really see why that’s any sort of priority.

Anyway, you kept saying, even after we accepted a Big 12 invite, that we should look to join the PAC, so you clearly had a preference for the PAC. Don’t tell anybody here any differently.

You even came up with a list of reasons why you preferred the PAC, one of which was “left wing politics.”

Really?
Especially coming from a 30 year non P5 UH fan?

Less Power # brands means less competition for resources, money, recruits, prime TV slots, importance in your state, etc.

You ant the club to MORE EXCLUSIVE …not LESS EXCLUSIVE.

That’s the whole point of the P2 shuffle of brands right now.

The way things happened somehow allowed BOTH of Texas’ AAC brands to end up in a Power Conference…not good!

YES! The PAC raids the Big 12 was till on the table.

We had 100% Confirmation that every Big 12 president/ AD had contacted the PAC about becoming a member.

Mack Rhodes had a long discussion about this, on 365, and he stated Baylor was literally scared to death they would be left out had a block of Big 12 schools moved over to the PAC because they WOULD have been left behind.

No different than when TCU accepted an invitation to the Big East and then a block of the Big East was stolen by the ACC, B1G and Big 12 BEFORE they played their first game in the “Big East”

There was recent precedent.

I don’t see it that way.

First of all, unlike you, I don’t really see SMU as being “competition.” If anything, they are a laughing stock that joined a conference that may soon disintegrate…for NO money.

That’s GOOD in my view. That’ll show just what FOOLS they were.

Hell, despite having all year to recruit and their best season in four decades, they still couldn’t out recruit a UH staff that had only two weeks to work with.

So if SMU making a fool out of itself by prostituting itself to a conference soon to self-destruct is the best you can come up with to justify a PAC preference (don’t deny that you had it), then you don’t have anything.

The PAC was dying and the ACC may soon be a shell of its former self.

Be thankful we made the right choice and aren’t in either one.

No it wasn’t.

By the time we accepted a Big 12 invite, the PAC had already said NO to both a merger with the Big 12 schools and taking four of them.

That’s what’s so silly about that line of thinking.

At one point, Baylor probably was worried, but guess what? The PAC gave a hard NO to such a thing. And that thing, BTW, NEVER contemplated UH.

There was NEVER a scenario in which the PAC considered UH. When the PAC was talking to the Big 12, UH wasn’t considered, and that nonsense about the PAC considering UH and TCU was nonsense cooked up by one guy in Fort Worth. It wasn’t reported by any media associated with either UH or the PAC. It was bogus. The PAC never takes R2 schools or religious schools, so any scenario involving UH and TCU should have been dismissed as nonsense outright, as smarter people like yours truly did.

At that point, having been rejected by the PAC, the Big 12 wisely expanded…and the PAC collapsed.

So in the end, the grass wasn’t greener on the PAC side of the fence.

You’re the only one who thinks SMU and the ACC are fools…most think SMU found a brilliant way into a Power 4 conference and it ONLY costs them $8 million a year for 10 years and then everything else is icing.

Option A: pocket $8 but host schools like Charlotte, ECU, Old Dominion and North Texas

Option B: raise $8 million and hosts the likes of Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia , etc. PLUS increased recruiting and media attention

How is joining a conference about to disintegrate for no money brilliant?

Will the ACC still even be a “power” conference after it loses its four biggest brands to the P2, and four more to the Big 12?

got the billionth time…I run arguments for/ agianst every possible scenario…often at the same time.

I outlined a dozen so scenarios in a differnt post.

That is what our leaders must do because NOBODY…I me and NOBODY knows exactly how the wind will blow…we just need to be be prepared.

Why is it so hard for you to understand the term "Brainstorming"whether they happen or not.

i.e.

If Texas A& M joins the B1G…then what happens

If the B1G decides not to expand then what happens