Texas Property Taxes

2030 Wyoming

Y’all need to call O’Connor , you’ll like the results and they pressure the appraisal district. Before I sold my last house , they beat the taxes so low that I had to stop using them for 3 yrs bc I was gonna sell and needed the appraised value to go up so it would be in line with the selling price. Over the 3 yrs I didn’t use them it skyrocket way up then I used them again and it settled back. I now use them every yr on the house we’re in now.

You can list things as outdated floors, needs paint in and outside , rotting wood etc to help on the o’conner survey form.

Oh I agree the “sin taxes” will not bring in that much
revenue in the big picture, but get what you can from it instead of letting other states collect it.

Our State used to provide $12.00 / semester hour at our public state universities and a homestead exemption that actually meant something.

I never thought I’d see toll roads in Houston either, so I think a limited state income tax that just gets the guy behind the tree is fair :wink: . Or go after businesses for taxes if easier. And not taking the available medicare funds is just beyond incompetent.

The gambling money is going to Louisiana as you know bc texas won’t do gambling but needs to.

1 Like

Commercial property has no caps. Know of one property in Galveston that just went from 250k appraisal last year to 615k this year. Unsustainable and will force many small businesses to close.

We need an “all of the above” approach so nobody is gored too badly. Some pot taxes, some gambling taxes, some increases in commercial property taxes, sales taxes on services (as in many other states). As previously stated, income taxes are off the table.

Get your property taxes reduced if possible, of course.

Then exempt some property up to a certain evaluation so small businesses aren’t unfairly burdened. For the millions in taxes paid by ship channel plants, etc., they start off with millions in exemptions.

The myth that eliminating fraud and waste would solve everything feels good but isn’t true. If over 43% of our budget is spent on health care, we have less for roads, schools, state colleges, police, fire and whatever else we need like flood mitigation.

We all hate taxes, but we’d also hate doing without the above services. Our biggest problem is getting someone else to pay.

I’ve used O’Connor for over a decade

1 Like

I’ve used them for almost 10 years now.

I agree it’s not fair to raise homestead and then tax you based on home value. The only way to offset this is to tax big corporations who have it. The people inside the loop right now are the ones that got in when. It was cheaper and are now reaping the rewards.
The problem is property values are extremely high inside the loop and continue being due to gentrification. I wish my parents had the opportunity to buy property when it was less expensive to hold. Right now that looks to be harder to do unless you get out of Houston completely.

Anyone anticipating a real estate crash in 23?

Sounds like California or New York taxes.

1 Like

What about in the 3rd ward now with housing and taxes going up. Is it a good time for investors there?

Real estate prices constantly rise in an inflationary economy, and we’re printing lots & lots of new money up in Washington DC!

2 Likes

West Columbia

Where is Coach V proclaiming that the electric grid will collapse with all these new subdivisions in the burbs?

Is this right 370k medium price in 3rd ward

The problem with installing a “limited income tax” is that the limits will keep increasing.

As long as the people keep demanding things like more highways, more welfare, more schools, transferring student loans from borrower to the taxpayers, etc. taxes will need to be raised to pay for it.

2 Likes

That boat sailed years ago.

But if you hurry you can still buy a vacant 5,000 sf lot off of Yellowstone for $200k…teardowns south of Yellowstone are going for $150,000 now.

HCAD has doubled the value of our house over the last 4 years. Home value crossed the $100,000 threshhold in 2019, and now we’re appraised at $200,000! I guess they like what I’ve done with the flower beds. :wink:

2 Likes

So why hasn’t the area near UH transformed as much as of now? With prices going up shouldn’t the area now be a hop spot bc it’s cheaper than other areas now?

I’d say the area has changed quite a bit, compared to 20-30 years ago.

And it’s definitely a real estate hot spot!

2 Likes