Texas Property Taxes

Plenty of lots near the rail and there is that new UH dorm going up on Scott right by the rail

I always fancied buying something in the small subdivision south of Wheeler ( Varsity Ln, Harvest Ln,etc) back in the day. But I procrastinate very well.

I always say, never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until next month.

1 Like

New track homes are going down at a accelerated pace, only thing slowing them down is the supply of materials not cost. When the availability of materials catches up with the demand you are going to see a huge increase in housing stock. We were going to buy a house just before the market went bonkers. We had our current house appraised, laughed at what the realtor told us what it would sell for, then looked at the neighborhoods we had been looking at and realized that prices had gone nuts. My wife feels that maybe the end of this year or middle of next year prices will start to head down. So we are waiting. Now, if interest rates go to 1980 levels, it will be a buyers market very quickly. Either way we feel there is a buyers market coming soon.

1 Like

What is a track home, exactly? Not familiar with the term.

The cookie cutter neighborhoods that pop up. A builder buys a plot of land and builds a neighborhood that is basically 4-5 home designs that repeat. Usually your starter homes for young families but not always.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks
That’s the ones that when you park a full size truck in the driveway, even if it’s pulled all the way up, still blocks the sidewalk some.

Cookie cutter homes suck and the neighborhoods they are in degrade and suck after a short while. Best bet is masterplanned communities like where I live in kingwood or the woodlands ,etc. You need to buy in masterplanned areas bc they have good deed restrictions to keep your value up along with amenities like neighborhood pools and walking and biking trails like we have. If not then buy in the heights , montrose , downtown area or in the loop then you can’t go wrong. If you buy the track ones that all look the same with no mature trees or amenities then your wife will have you moving or if not, it will just suck and degrade over time.

Yes and no, let me explain it better. So a developer buys a bunch of acres, like 100’s of acres. He plans the community, roads, parks, lights, pool, clubhouse and in doing so he also divides the land into tracts (were the houses will be built). Goes to the county and gets approval for his plan. Once approved the home builders like lennar, KB etc…… come in and buy some lots or entire subdivision or the whole thing. The builder then sells the lots to you and me and he sometimes lets you pick what home will go there on your lot or you buy the style house that’s already being built on the lot. Unless you custom built your home, as in you bought the lot and hired a builder to build on it, then you live in a tract home. It has nothing to do with quality of house. I used a very simplified example in my original reply sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Good summary, it has nothing to do with being master planned or not too.

1 Like

We’ve been in kingwood since 1993 and it’s still great with no high crime and good as when we bought here bc it’s masterplanned with deed restrictions etc. I can walk my neighborhood at 2am and feel safe. So just research and watch where you buy and talk to friends etc to see. Also don’t buy near work unless it’s a good area bc it’s best to love where your home is and just drive further than buying right by work like urban cowboy where he bought right by work in Pasadena so he walked out and smelled refinery fumes. John travolta in urban cowboy. Lol

So in our area, kings forest and riverwalk (in Porter) would be considered a community that’s not “tract”. Those folks bought the lot and hired a builder to build their home. There will not be a single home that repeats in those neighborhoods.

As per usual, I learn a lot on Coogfans.

1 Like

The developer is the guy making the most profit in this entire process. It’s good to be the developer. But it also takes a lot of capital.

I moved outside Kansas City.

20 acres and still get great internet (Google Fiber)

Future Big12 opponents will be right in my backyard.

Work remotely for a California company and get California pay.

But I really miss Texas… but the weather is so much nicer that I would need one hell of an opportunity to move back.

Tornado season may convince you

Wow, Houston suburbs now go all the way to Kansas!

Sprawl creates its own tax problems. Unless big offices/warehouses/industrial plants are located within your school district (or local polity), your house pulls the revenue cart.

Well the good thing is those new burbs won’t need a lot of the services a big city has.

Oh yeah, throw in the MUD monthly services fee AND annual property taxes as well. Burbs
typically get hit with County, MUD, and school taxes.

1 Like