The American Athletic Conference 2023 Baseball Tournament

3 Likes

The schedule sure is set up for the losers to keep losing.

2 Likes

Get by the Shockers with minimal damage to pitching and I think we win it.

4 Likes

Regardless of what happens we need for our bats to stay on fire to have any chance in the tourney

5 Likes

You think that were beating ECU with the roll that they’re on now? I wonder if we have enough pitching.

We have to rely on the same thing that we’ve relied on for most of our wins this season; our offense scoring more runs than the pitching is going to give up.

1 Like

Gorilla ball? I dont think we have the ringers. :thinking: But we’ll see. :yum:

Maybe w Schmitz back.

Need 5+ from Game 1 starter or its the usual getting shelled every 3d game.
Need Ek to throw strikes. Off lately.

Ek struggled with command against Tulane (5 walks), but had 9Ks in 5 IP last outing. Hope he’s back. With that said who do you think should get the ball G1? Thinking they may go with Cade C. Who didn’t pitch this weekend. Agree or disagree?

Also, How many walks following 0-2 counts have we seen this year? Too many! Coaches needs to get more aggressive and quit wasting pitches to help extend our pitchers more innings. Just an observation, wonder if others see it the same way.

I think they were saving Citelli for game 1. That is why he didn’t pitch this past weekend.

My god the bottom has truly fallen out if that’s the pitching ace in the hole.

My last comment on the 2023 staff - Whit, etc so wrong on the pitching.
How can they possibly bring in a B12 pitching staff?

Looking forward.

3 Likes

Well if we don’t win the tournament, you won’t have to worry about Whitting bringing in anybody cause he gone!

3 Likes

Winning the AAC tournament is possible. ECU is not good on the road and obviously this tournament is in Clearwater and not in their friendly confines. It’s a long shot, but not out of the question. Having said that, sure feels like a longshot.

1 Like

Anyone but Citelli please. Tulane was all over him in the regular season series; 3.0 IP, 7 ER.
Ayers looked the best against Tulane; 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER despite 5 BB, though he didn’t do too well vs Cincy.

1 Like

I noticed on the AAC all conference team WSU had five, ECU with three while we had two on the first team, Arnold and Murray.
We had a goose egg on second team while ECU had seven and WSU two.
We had no one on the all freshmen team.
It’s a miracle we were one win away from the conference title.

2 Likes

Smoke and mirrors and an all time low in AAC baseball.

Gosh, there were years win the AAC was legit….

5 Likes

Just like last year, we’re the 2nd best team in a conference that has only one good team.

2 Likes

With this pitching staff, I don’t know that you can pick out one start and say they can’t be successful against that team. Citelli is very hot and cold. He could possibly do well against Tulane if he does start. With that said, there is no guarantee that he is going to start because Bunn works to the beat of his own drum! Either way, we need a really good start from someone or a really good long relief from someone. I think we get it done.

For this tournament it’s all about match ups and conserving arms.
I would hope that the staff has looked over all of the past games/matchups and is using as a guide to how they will pitch.
In the old days we had so many good arms you could just start stud #1 then stud#2 and have Ryan Wagner come close it out.:grimacing:

Now you have to look at who did what against who and let that dictate your rotation.

So no Citelli vs Tulane…last thing you need is to get behind early and have Tulane thinking they can win.

4 Likes

Citelli looked good against the other 2 teams in our bracket, WSU & Memphis, so I like him in the second game.
WSU: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO
UM: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 SO

2 Likes