The Core Football Problem?

In my opinion, big picture, the grad transfers have not panned out this year. We get them and say oh look Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Baylor and they have come in and either have gotten hurt or just blend in to their surroundings. We can’t keep making these gambles on 1 year wonders. This isn’t the Sun Belt, they’re not just going to dominate the league because they come from P5.

It also alienates our young guys who were going to step into those spots. For example, how would you like to be Mulbah or Patrick or Kevrin you busted your tail for years for your chance at this school and hear comes golden 1000 yard Baylor boy to take your reps.

We get 1 year with these guys. One. And we are trading that for player development (which overall we are good at) that could lead to 2-3 productive years with true Coogs who chose us out of high school. That’s not how you build a program.

1 Like

You’re talking about the Giants ST coordinator, Thomas McGaughey (sp?).

I believe he’s battling cancer right now.

Well… I see your point, but don’t agree that is what is happening. We got Anderson and Chambers with several years to play and develop. These aren’t all Senior transfers like Nick Watkins. If the focus is on more players like that, I believe it is going to pan out more often than not. Not everyone is a Kyle Allen. We need guys that contribute even if we get them as RS- Sophs and Juniors.

1 Like

His basic premise is still valid. Recruit good kids, develope them and make them team unit proud.

Yes I was referring specifically to the grad transfers who truly have one year of eligibility left. The transfers who will be here more than one year bring them on. The new 4 game rule can help us if they haven’t redshirted and get hurt.

1 Like

I didn’t know that but he was the guy. I think a UH guy who played till he graduated would be more likely to stay around for longer period of time.

1 Like