The Fruits of Houston’s Tanking

We would not be having this conversation if we had won the first four games.
King and Corbin would have graduated and we could have won another NY6.
As it stands, CDH looks like a genius, much like CBY in the day. We will be back.

1 Like

Hearing it now isn’t as bad but the issue is the team and all the players hearing that during the season. I give Dana a lot of credit for not losing the team and actually having a better record after the redshirt announcements.

It is not the right term and only lazy or dumb people (or writers trying to get clicks) would use it to describe what UH did. Tanking is only used when organizations are trying to lose, period. Also there is no benefit for losing so again it just doesn’t work for what was done.

3 Likes

I think for some it becomes a synonym for quitting when it’s really more of a strategic retreat to put yourself in a better position later, something Lee should have done at Gettysburg.

3 Likes

One of my all time favorite movies-Gettysburg. Lee and Patton weren’t very good a retreating but they did know how to pause and regroup before launching another attack. IMO that is what we are doing.

1 Like

Yup. We shouldn’t even really be debating it this much. It’s within the rules. I’m all for trying to create an advantage for this upcoming season. However, I seriously doubt you’ll see QBs like King, in their senior season, redshirting. That will never be the norm, and why this is getting so much pub.

We have to call a spade a spade, this year was the college version of tanking.

Also, when people refer to tanking in the NFL or NBA, every last one of the coaches and players on those teams will respond the way Dana has by saying the guys on the field are playing their hearts out and no one is trying to lose.

But the crux of the matter is, we could have fielded a better team. In the NFL, it’s usually done at the GM level by trading away guys (that would make the team better for that year but maybe not finish in the playoffs) possibly for draft picks or cap space, to help the next year for an overall better team. In our situation, we did not put the most competitive team on the field that we could have for the benefit of an overall better team next year.

No we did not intentionally lose games, but we did not put our best players on the field which caused us to lose more games than initially projected, period.

As for the article, it is what it is and tell me if in any previous years in our history would you balk at an ESPN writer giving us that amount of ink in a year recap/next year’s preview for a 4 and 8 Houston team?

2 Likes

If King, Corbin, and Car play this past season, does that mean we tanked next season?

6 Likes

People arguing that UH “tanked” any games last year kind of reminds me of the Forrest Gump’s line “stupid is what stupid does…” Give it up…

2 Likes

4 Likes

So if we go 11-1 next season because King redshirted this season and got to come back to play means we didn’t benefit? Some of you people are seriously delusional.

I find it odd that we’re all arguing over nomenclature here. I mean you can call it what you want. But we did choose to sit some of our best players to have them come back next year. Is"tanking" the exact right word, probably not. But it’s about as good a term used.

At this point it’s not really not a negative either, no matter what term you want to use. At this point it’s more an interesting experiment to see if this style of roster management can pay dividends.

2 Likes

This discussion will only be resolved after we get the results of this experiment at the end of next season.

Successful season=roster management
Unsuccessful season=tanking

I prefer to think of it as CDH’s attempt to dig out of and plan for the future after the debacle that was left by Herman and Apple Boy !!!

2 Likes

Can I say something?
Who cares?!?
Let’s just win in 2020.

4 Likes

Here, here. I think we can all agree with that.

3 Likes

Yes Sir, however you spoke before the board gave you permission. Your punishment for speaking early: you must attend every Coog football game (lol)!! :upside_down_face: :wink:

2 Likes

Its too simple. Any definition you find related to tanking in sports will say it is a deliberate attempt to lose. That was not done. The overall goal is so you get rewarded for losing. Again, did not happen. In fact with any more losing King may have left so its the opposite.

Yes, its possible the strategy of redshirting will work out and it will end up being beneficial. I am sure many will follow our lead and maybe soon there will be a singular word used to explain it so all the people out there will be happy. Right now just be happy we are building for the future and not trying to go 6-6 in back to back years.

3 Likes

Rebuilding is the correct term IMHO. What we’re doing is within the rules. The new redshirt rules coupled with the transfer portal are huge for us.

1 Like

yes, we were being strategic. The unmentionable word would imply we wanted to lose all our games which is inaccurate and does not apply

Sure we were, for this season.

The point is did we try to win or lose the games we played. If we tried to lose them we were tanking, if we tried to win them we were being strategic. Just because you dont put your best product forward doesn’t mean tanking. Besides, who says King was our best product?

1 Like