The Future is Here

If the university was paying them than yes. But this is no different than a kid going and getting a job and working on his own time. The university is hands off and the student cannot use the university’s likeness.

2 Likes

And it is not going to be the car dealerships. It is going to be YouTube channels, patreon dues, internet interviews. That will be the big money.

If anyone can put me in contact with someone affiliated with the site, I’m happy to talk this out for how I think this needs to go.

LFG!

Thanks for info…this dino has no clue on how all the SM ramifications interact and influence all this. Seriously, I appreciate all the info from the younger Coogs on how this all works.

That is the same as Miami, rich or many alums just flowing money to the team without real NIL value, but under the cover of paid interviews. The abuses will continue to flow.

The really nasty part comes when coaches pursue top athletes and 4 and 5 star players and sites like TX Ags start funneling money to those targeted recruits to get them to come to A&M. Its going to be a mess.

If the sport goes this legal but corrupt way, eventually some fans will say the hell with it.

4 Likes

Probably more truth than we know. If anything, may allow the lesser school’s alums to provide more to their school players since now the repercussions are not there anymore. Just remember, the big schools got a slap on the wrist while the lesser schools got the book thrown at them.

2 Likes

All the ways that money was funneled to the kids had numerous people with their hands out or took some of the money off the top. Now you don’t have an uncle that you have to work through or an AAU coach or an ex player who has a “charity” that you have to contribute to.

It is just a business deal now. It always was.

2 Likes

Will these fan sites survive? Can they really afford to pay that continually? Can they draw enough subscriptions to make money?

I heard from a Mid to Low level UT booster that he has been approached for 5k one on one 1 hour interviews with players on one of their pay sites. So you pay a 5k one time fee to get a one hour conversation with a star player.

While this may seem wrong it is well within the rules and good for the athlete and website for figuring this out. The website while obviously a forum for that school has no official connection with the school so they can even advertise this like cameo.com does currently but you have a very targeted audience.

What might start to hurt is donations to the school. If this guy pays 5k to chat with the qb about the upcoming season that is maybe a 5k donation not going to the school. How many aggies or horns or Bama fans already give say 10k to the school annually, and how many will cut back to chat with their favorite player?

I would think most players wouldn’t expect $10G for an interview. Majority would be grateful for a nice chunk of change. I don’t know any UH player that would assume they are entitled to large sums of money to talk to fans or fan forum. If it’s raised, then awesome, I just don’t think they “expect it”. They would just be very happy and grateful.

2 Likes

A bunch of ‘whatever top 300’ list recruits probably do expect it.

4 Likes

This is pretty pathetic.

3 Likes

Yep but those schools are behind some of these deals as texags is a mouthpiece for A&M on the premium side -

no offense but is Spiller even worth that much for a measly interview? Good player but not Manziel.

Wonder if a third party needed something or he threatened to transfer and this was the gift

A number of kids, immature with no financial training, with poor impulse control, with an under developed sense of ethics and a new pile of cash will end up screwing up and get in trouble. Just you wait and see.

2 Likes

Agree, but if they are good enough guess who will be there to bail them out?

1 Like

“We must keep the poor kids poor, lest they make mistakes and wind up poor.”

3 Likes

Lol. What a terrible excuse for the NCAA to keep employing free labor.

2 Likes

With new transfer rules, combined with different ways to compensate players, could we see a highest bidder scenario start taking place during the offseason. Teams with a large financial backing going after the biggest stars from the previous season.

I’m not against compensating the players. I didn’t say that. Also student athletes are not employees. LOL!

1 Like