The Future is Here

Lol. The market will set their price. It’s exactly their fair share.

If they don’t feel the demand is there to pay these athletes $10k an interview, then guess what? $10k an interview won’t happen.

Economics. It’s a hell of a thing.

3 Likes

Guess we can now call it pro college sports. This can of worms is going to be interesting to watch play out.
The schools with the huge giving alums and biggest fan bases sink the G5’s deeper in the hole.
Btw I guess a college education is no longer enough lol,
We are going to have one big mess on our hands all in the name of greed
Have said before that Kids should be allowed to go straight to the pros anytime they want.
But never thought it could be something that could destroy college sports.
That said I will root for our Coogs even if we drop sports and push our intramural teams.

2 Likes

I just don’t think it really changes much. You’ll just see UT, A&M, Bama, Ohio State getting into huge bidding wars that we would have never been involved in to begin with.

And 100% agree with you. Kids should be able to go to the league whenever they want. Ultimately, they’re the ones that have to live with their decisions if it doesn’t work out.

4 Likes

Exactly, nothing has changed except for those big moneyed alums sleep a little bit better knowing they wont be caught up in a tax evasion problem.

1 Like

We’ll have a situation where someone is paying a college player to play for a particular school BUT the HC calls the shots, the plays, the rotation, depth chart, practice schedules, blocking schemes, nutrition table, type of offense, POST GAME INTERVIEWS, etc.

I smell some potential conflicts of interest in the future.

3 Likes

Ya think? Chaos in the short term. Long term I may be attending a lot more high school games until I move down to middle school in about 10 years.

2 Likes

Sure wish the educational aspect was stressed more. The streets are littered with “can’t miss pros” that didn’t make it past first cut down if that…the cheering stops much sooner than later.

1 Like

^^ Exactly. And this certainly doesn’t help matters. Now you’re not even going to need to make it to the pros to get all that money. That is going to echo all the way down to elementary schools now.

The education aspect? Since when did the university even care about that? 1.6 trillion in student loan debt. Now those are adults agreeing to a loan and it needs to be paid back, but 1.6 trillion? To build new buildings and pay for names to profess to people? It is a crazy business. That is why they aren’t even about to stick their necks out there and push either direction. They keep getting free money from the government by the truckload so why emphasize education in athletics? Some say 30-40% of all loans belong to folks that didn’t even get a degree. Adults making adult decisions. At least these athletes getting a small taste aren’t going to owe anyone at the end of the day.

Great apples and oranges non sequitur

Now you do not have to have a BBA to imagine a few of our friendly team faces in one or more of these.

Mattress Mack

GF

All our athletes have to say in the commercial is, “Save you Money”.
:laughing:

Now Mattress Mack can create a team that he can bet on.

Hmmmm, could this be where the return on their investment is???

1 Like

It’s more than professors and buildings. There’s a lot of employees at a university that never set foot in a classroom. I know, I was one of them when I worked at Michigan. That IT staff I worked for didn’t work for free nor did all of the computer equipment that we had to buy.

Hey the machine has to pay for itself. I mean when they only have 648 billion in the bank they are basically broke.

It’s not tax evasion that was the problem. It was stuff like wire/mail fraud (federal) and similar state laws. Even Texas had a penal law against illegal payoffs to college athletes.

But now, these rich guys get to deduct from their taxes money they used to pay illegally. So now they’re legal, and the rich are getting another tax break.

I do believe the schools are trying to give athletes some sort of financial education too, I think I read UH was doing so.

In general, I just think the market price for this stuff is going to be like a gold rush or the wild west. However at some point, prices and services will stabilize. I mean how often will someone pay $5,000 for a one on one video interview with a player who may rather be playing video games. A number of years ago, I had a gig where I would witness autograph signing for Topps so I would have all the cards, stickers or whatever and sit with these guys as they signed 500 or 1000 or whatever it was. I was the witness and signed an affidavit so I guess Topps had some record of the authenticy. Then I would send it all back to Topps. Some of the athletes were real cool and chatty, others it was more of a chore.

I’m not sure if Mario Williams said more than a few words to me. It seemed more like the higher the draft or expectations, the less interested they were in chatting.