The Houston Gamblers are back!

More info.

I wonder if they will play at TDECU.

Is Mr. John Jenkins coaching?

My understanding is that all games will be played in Birmingham this season. It’s possible that they will play in Houston in 2023 or 2024.

I guess I can pull out my satin USFL jacket after all these years

3 Likes

Loved those Gambler teams! Still have an unpeeled Gambler sticked framed on my game room wall.

The new USFL, which is owned by FOX Sports, will play its 10-game schedule in one location with teams expected to play in their own markets in future seasons

WARNING: NON-POLITICAL STATEMENT

Just keep Donald Trump away from the league this time…since he killed it off the first go-round. Can you imagine what direction American football would’ve taken if the USFL continued to grow?

He was right. He paid big money for stars but you had too many cash strapped owners. He realized it would never become big time.

Additional observations:

• They’ve tweaked some of the original logos, but not Houston’s, because the Gamblers logo was a brilliant design to begin with. Almost 40 years later and anybody in this city can still easily recognize it.

• They’ve selected teams and locations from the original league as it existed in 1984. By 1985, the Stars had moved from Philly to Baltimore, the Breakers had moved from New Orleans to Portland, and the Panthers had merged with the Oakland Invaders. (This was all done in preparation for the 1986 fall season that never happened.) 1984 was also the inaugural year for both the Gamblers and Maulers.

• With the exception of Birmingham (which is where all the games are going to be played in 2022), all of the teams they’ve resurrected are in existing NFL markets in the Eastern and Central time zones. They’re not resurrecting any West Coast teams (Arizona Outlaws, LA Express, Oakland Invaders, Denver Gold).This suggests that 1) they want to focus on established pro football mdia markets, and 2) FOX plans early kickoffs that won’t get a lot of viewership out west.

I’m not expecting too much from this league, since it’s basically just a rebranding of the Spring League (that didn’t even pay its players last year). But it will give me something to watch and root for this spring.

Things will get interesting if this league survives the season and the XFL reboots in 2023.

1 Like
1 Like