The Houston vs Auburn Matchup

Starters
Wendell Green 5-11 - heigh effort pg - kinda reckless shooter
Zep Jasper 6-1- lead defender, streaky offense, doesnt get starter minutes
Allen Flanigan 6-6 - tall and shifty, questionable shooter (Their version of tramon)
Jaylin Williams 6-8 - good at everything not great at anything
Johni Broome 6-10 - 235lbs great low post scorer and rim protector but does it with length/touch not power

K.D. Johnson 6-1 - high energy pg - kinda reckless shooter (starter minutes)
Dylan Cardwell 6-11 - 260lbs good per possession stats (rim protector, low post scorer)
Chris Moore 6-6 - glue guy (think their chaney)
Tre Donaldson 6-2 - 3andD shooter
Lior Berman 6-4 - 3andD shooter

Auburn general breakdown
suspect offense, decent defense. not 1 reliable shooter on the main rotation. their guards arent as bad as the shooting numbers indicate but their shot selection is TERRIBLE. broome is a decent low post scorer. their defense is good from high effort and good rim protections not from being disciplined

im going to assumer shead plays, and put sasser at 20% chance of playing

The Jwan Factor- this is going to be the deciding factor IMO, broome is 6’10 but is kinda soft and not a low post fighter. if we let him get in position around the rim he will be scoring and rebounding on us all night… but jwan is tougher and can force and body him outside the post most of the game if he can bring it. he (And Chaney) have to make broome uncomfortable all night…Auburn is also not a particularly good rebounding team but they have size, this matchup (broome vs jwan) likely defines the rebounding numbers

Their D: This is where potentially not playing with sasser is the biggest factor… broome is an elite shot blocker and the core to their defense. he block or alters most shots at the rim (and the back up is almost as good, so its not a “get him in foul trouble” thing either)… with the lack of organization and shorter guards, there will be tons of good looks from 3 that sasser could have taken advantage off… but we arent the best shooting team without sasser… the “feed the post” offense is at a disadvantage vs auburn… especially when they know broome doesn’t have to leave the post to defend the jwan. we are going to need, shead, mark, sharp and jarace 3s

Our D vs them - our D is built to shut down teams like auburn (especially at full strength) likely even without full strength… their guards are reckless, we can force them into bad shots. they will make some but not enough to score much. we can probably force a ton of bad turnovers aswell. broome will likely also struggle with our post traps and he isnt a particularly great passer either … sharp will be the weak spot if sasser can’t play, but i don’t think it will be game defining

They will have home court advantage - This is an away game … and Auburn is a team that feeds off the crowd

Depth - we might be thin on available guards incase of foul trouble. that might force us into zone for stretches if we lack numbers

game thoughts: i think we win without a doubt with sasser (at full strength), probably some heavy doubts about our ability to score without him. even beyond shooting, sasser got a ton of our transition points. but we have guys that can score beyond sasser they just don’t do it every game. this has to be one of those games

36 Likes

Thanks for the breakdown sir! Looking forward to a few more do them this season

4 Likes

We need to play clean. Our turnovers are concerning. We need to be a relentless rebounding team. I know rebounding is in our DNA but I never walk away thinking we are a good rebounding team, not like our last few teams.

If we play to our DNA we should win,

If we play like our DNA is a given, we will get our heads handed to us.

I hope last night woke everybody up to the intensity of March.

2 Likes

Limit the unforced turnovers. Some errant passes during the NK game.

2 Likes

We have to rebound, proctect the ball, defend and shoot better than we did last night, or it will be a long evening. At times last night we appeared lost against that zone, i’m not very optimistic about us winning, unless, we play smarter and with more energy…

3 Likes

I think we can still beat Auburn with an off game. We’ve had a bunch of games this year where we didn’t look great and still came out with the W. That’s the hallmark of this team.
How many games did it feel like Marcus truly dominated? Stat sheet wise, he was always up there, but most games felt like a “quiet 30” for him.
We’re a grindy team that gets Ws in an ugly fashion

1 Like

I don’t think we will see a performance that poor from Shead ever again. That seemed so out of character.

4 Likes

I am going to need confession for some the things that came out of my mouth on some of those Shead passes.

14 Likes

Bottom line is with Sasser and Shead not playing at 100% we are in deep poop.
With Sasser out all but 14 minutes and Shead noticeably limping we absolutely struggled with a team we should have beaten by 20 points.
If Shead is ok even without Sass I like our chances against Auburn.
Biggest beneficiary of our injuries is Texas…and am not liking that at all.
That said, I don’t care if we have to start Elvis and one of the managers I will be cheering for the Coogs in Birmingham!

7 Likes

We miss Marcus’ defense as much or more than his shooting

7 Likes

We need a Willis Reed gutsy tournament from Shead and Sasser:

Heroes are made in the post season

1 Like

Sasser just needs to get healthy. Won’t blame him one bit for not testing his groin again. College is just a pit stop for these kids.

Like I said last night. Just sh***y luck.

2 Likes

Reed came on the court that day and fueled the frenzied crowd by hitting his first and only shot and then sitting the bench the rest of the game with his bum knee.
We would need that to happen more than a few times lol.
We simply picked a bad time to get banged up.
Shead playing with a gimpy knee and willing us to a win was probably our Willis Reed moment

I guess I missed it - when did Shead get hurt? did he keep playing or come out?

I may or may not have dozed off a couple times during the second half…

This is going to be a ROWDY environment… The AU fans at the game we’re HEAVY on the NKU bandwagon last night and they let us fans and our team know it.

AU fans will be DRUNK and VERY LOUD.

Hope it gives our boys that added adrenaline!

3 Likes

He looked like he was hurting almost all of the 2nd half… And late looked like he tweaked his ankle.

1 Like

He had this “crampy” look about his gait…

Like me the day after doing leg day for the first time in 2 months…:rofl:

Says he suffered a knee injury in here… I’m not getting any work done today… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It seems that the whole team made some really STUPID passing mistakes leading to easy turnovers.

I wonder what brought that on. Were we just being overconfident and careless or something?

4 Likes

It’s really quite simple. Northern Kentucky’s players were very quick and fast (similar to Memphis) and so our normal passes didn’t work as well - and we like to pass the ball a lot. Therefore, lots of turnovers.

No… It’s not that simple… We made A LOT of lazy passes and a lot of passes in traffic in the lane where we should have just put the shot up…

7 Likes