The stupidity of blind outrage

The blind outrage that affects us all when it comes to politics, lifestyles, etc. really causes us to act without thought. I think for some people, they are only happy when they are outraged.

Today (or technically yesterday I guess), I’m seeing two of those instances.

First, I see people sharing and complaining about some Louis Vuitton $800 tshirt that they believe is supporting Hamas. So you have people claiming they will boycott LV, that likely weren’t shopping there to begin with. The bigger stupidity is the main narrative I’m seeing shared suggests people should shop at Dior instad of LV. Why is this stupid? Well, Dior is the majority owner of LVMH. So, in essence, you’re telling someone to boycott Sprite by buying Coke. That even doesn’t consider that anyone who would buy an $800 tshirt to support what they believe is a marginalized population is going to be a person completely out of touch with reality. We saw something similar locally when people who were boycotting Bud Light went and bought Karbach that has the same owner as Bud Light.

Then the other stupidity I’m seeing is people all happy that Unilever is spinning off their ice cream business (including Ben & Jerry’s). They are acting like this is some sort of death to Ben & Jerry’s leftist policies or like as if B&J is shutting down. Its just changing ownership structure, sure it is news and important if you are a Unilever investor but for the most part this is like celebrating because you moved cash from one bank account to another.

I’ve seen this before with other lifestyle issues. Pre-Covid McDonalds moved to a 24 hour breakfast menu. At some point, many stores were having trouble adapting and keeping up which was causing issures. I saw several people I know personally who blame McDonalds for every nutrition related community health issue all excited and happy as if McDonalds wouldn’t just work through the issues and get right back to printing money. Yes, the all day breakfast menu ended, but that may have been more because of Covid and changing business environment after. McDonald’s is still serving millions of burgers daily.

Can we all take a breath before we share, get mad, dance on the proverbial grave, etc to actually get beyond knee jerk reactions? Or are we all addicted to the outrage?

As they taught us as kids, if you’re on fire you should stop, drop, and roll. If you’re outraged, you should stop, read, and think. Sometimes we all let the outrage create our narrative truth instead of reason. I guess we all need to be more like Mr. Spock more often.

End of rant.

3 Likes

I know I’m guilty of knee jerk reactions both positive reactions and negative. For example, we received an email at work about some changes that myself and others cheered for. After throwing the red flag and reviewing the play, nothing is really changing. It was all empty words giving the impression that something good was happening.

1 Like

Outrage is pretty much encouraged by the current societal landscape

The only way to not be outraged is to merely ignore everything and go about your day, but some people have egos where they have to choose a side on everything and fight for it

We’re all guilty of it in one way or another

Outrage has always been encouraged throughout history. It’s nothing new.

Some people also have egos in that they feel they are above the fray and neutral observers but actually have chosen a side and fight for it in their attempts at neutrality.

1 Like

waste of time

everything in society swings on a pendulum. Goes left to right and right to left

Black slavery was once socially accepted, and once it was abolished, black people were still treated unequal

Quite the concept

This thread is outrageous

5 Likes

I’ve been boycotting Bud Light since it came out because I prefer the taste of Miller Lite, Miller, or Michelob.

Nope. Nothing new. Just amplified through social media.

Everything is an extreme. A different opinion is now considered “hate”. :person_facepalming:

1 Like

And actual hate is considered a difference of opinion.

1 Like

So I’m seeing everything from the eyes of kids now as i teach elementary school. We had a kid who was getting in trouble a lot. He couldn’t stay in his seat and never wanted to do the lesson. So we had to tell his parents
Now he’s the biggest tattle teller, even things that don’t affect him, he’ll yell across the classroom “I’m telling, teacher Jason is out of his seat” And Jason is his best friend, doesn’t matter he is telling on everybody for anything.

I’m not quite sure how that fits.

Maybe it doesn’t but i think those with outrage probably are mad they don’t get away with something, or possibly feel like they can’t get away with it anymore. So they are latching onto stuff to be outrage about, a subconscious payback

Maybe? I think you’re still a bit off target.

1 Like

How dare you you open such a thread.

Who do you think you are?

Now back to the satellite section

Poster child for blind outrage

2 Likes

Thr flags remind me of the 1st grader I was referring too

You refer to your own post about something you are referring to yourself?

Perfect description but also a confusing sentence. Lol

1 Like