and Cougar Brass Pep Bands bring energy to every game on campus, representing the University of Houston with passion???
I don’t complain on a lot of topics but I was underwhelmed with the SOH throughout the game. There was an occasional WHOMP WHOMP or whatever some call it. I may have heard/noticed the band a hand full of times throughout the game but compared to the band(s) impact on the atmosphere in LSU vs Ole Miss game, it was a mummer.
What is college athletics if the band is not involved in each and ever drive? SOH? Not impressive.
I wasn’t at the game. It seems like there were a lot of issues. Then again, I heard Northwestern’s AD curtailed some of their involvement so maybe it’s a trend.
We are long time season ticket holders and we attend every home game. We were talking about the exact same thing- what happened to our band? We love hearing the band. It plays a large part in creating the college game atmosphere and it seemed like yesterday they did not get many opportunities to play.
Not being argumentative here, just a question: could it be the way they’re positioned in the stands this year that they’re not as loud for the alumni side? Or is it more so when they’re on the field?
Duce630
(DustinK - Damn it feels good to be a Cougar. -Dwight Davis)
7
I think what was lacking was success on the field in the first half. A lot of that is what triggers the band to play more and the fans to get engaged.
Maybe the band was underutilized, but maybe it was just the lack of stuff to celebrate that made it seem that way.
I noticed the band before the game outside the stadium and I noticed them in the second half, both times they were engaged and hype. I don’t think I noticed them in the first half as much but then I wasn’t seeing a lot to cheer about either.
It’s all good brother i took care of my dad for 3 years i know what ur going thru! Just frustrating that we are a laughing stock on this attendance issue
instead of hearing the band, we get blessed with the smooth voice from Miss Screech every dead ball. college football is all about the football, band and student section. its not a complicated formula.
The only time I heard the band during the game was one Womp Womp. I’d occasionally look over and you could tell they were playing, but I couldn’t hear them over the speaker music.
Yeah, I was very unhappy with the amount of piped-in music. Part of me wonders why we even have a band if we’re not going to let them play. It’s a plague throughout the sport, but this week was particularly bad.
The Spirit of Houston is not the problem. They actually did a great job and are actually loud overall because of the location. However, there is a lot of things going on during a game (IE, loud rap music on 3rd down, MC, intermissions like dancing contests, highlights, commercials, Whataburger games) that they’re trying to squeeze in.
Because there’s less interruptions from the MC, a Texas bowl has 2 college bands going back and forth, which makes the game to me really exciting.
I think this is one of the places where the “experience” goals are counterproductive. One of the things that make college football a unique experience in person is (or was) the bands. No, people don’t necessarily buy tickets to go watch the bands, but they also don’t go to watch a bunch of commercials or listen to some chick screaming unintelligibly in every break.
The commercials are gonna happen. The other stuff is less likely to make someone want to come back than having the band actually helping generate enthusiasm. There’s no scenario where the band should be relegated to less air time than the roving PA person.
The thing that really grinds my gears, and where the band was missed IMO, wasn’t the stoppages so much as it was between plays. It felt like every 2nd/3rd/4th down, it was always PA music. I don’t care a ton about having the DJ play music during the Flex Cam or whatever instead of the band, but in the middle of a drive the band should be playing about 90% of the time.