This is UH’s last chance

and do it today…she might be sitting on her hands…and we can’t afford to lose another day!

1 Like

I’m sure you’re joking about RK sitting on her hands. There’s every indication our admin have been working this scenario for years. We ALL knew UT & OK we’re going to leave at some point. This is taking nobody by surprise especially RK.

3 Likes

Do you know why the networks pay more for college basketball than they do the D-League?

Because nobody gives a damn about minor league anything.

The more they move college football towards minor league football and less about regional pride, the sport will die.

4 Likes

Not at this point . Our apathy as a fan base has made sure we don’t get a second look when other conferences are checking our boxes

5 Likes

This is true, but we are better option than many current P5’s, I hope the conference shake up looks favorable to us.

I’ll take sweet 16 wrestling schools for $500…that would be a really tough question for most sports fans.

A pretty grounded and realistic take on events from the local paper covering the Memphis program.

1 Like

Obviously, outsiders see Houston as a Texas/Texas A&M town. Based on the newspaper and what little TV overage there is, there’s no reason to think otherwise.

1 Like

Another data point from fellow AAC member. Pretty impressive local fan support for UCF. No doubt that bringing in Gus spiked season tix sales. I understand Cincy should do well with season tickets yet again.

Are we competing against Memphis, UCF, and Cincy for a spot in a weakened B12? Do the top teams of the AAC invite the B12 leftovers and show ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, USF, and Navy the exit door? It’s going to be an interesting fall. I can’t wait to hear the spin coming out of AAC Media Week!

“Here’s the truth: If college football is about to enter an era featuring four super conferences, Memphis is unlikely to be a part of one.”

Wow!

Neither are we

I doubt they’ll wait that long.

His last sentence as well rings true…

“Just don’t end up like the schools that got left behind in Conference USA the last time a bomb actually landed and changed college sports forever.”

I agree, I think we’re in a similar situation to Memphis, perhaps a slightly weaker hand to play due to weak fan support and poor on-field performance. I just hope we don’t slide down any further.

Think you’re underestimating our value. It was reported that one of the two companies that did research for the Big 12 on expansion claimed that UH would be one of the two most valuable additions, BYU likely being the other. We can claim a good share of a top 10 market. So we’ve been down in football for a couple of years. We averaged 9 wins per season in the eight years before the past two. We also made the Final Four in basketball, we have good facilities, etc.

9 Likes

Football and basketball drive the TV dollars. We are good at hoops. Olympic sports don’t make any money, even for Oregon. Every time we’ve gotten good, interest grows, and then drops off the map as soon as we stumble, unlike the fans of the hated Longhorns and Aggies, who show up in large numbers regardless.

There is an oft-quoted comment made years ago, "Brazil is the country of the future, and it always will be.” Our fans believe UH is the program of the future. An outside observer may conclude we always will be.

3 Likes

I want to agree with you; however, two key concerns:

The weaker B12 teams (especially Baylor) have wanted to keep us down more than UT or TAMU ever did. I don’t see this changing if OU and UT bolt to the SEC. In fact, I see the surviving B12 schools banding together in whatever entity survives and attempting to cherry-pick the elite of the AAC (Cincy, UCF, and Memphis). Why would they extend an invite to UH-the state’s 3rd largest school in the nation’s 4th largest city? Too much competition for them. Also, I would venture to say that both Tech and Baylor probably have more political influence in Austin than we do.

The TV eyeballs argument. My hunch is that UT, TAMU, and LSU generate the most interest and eyeballs for college football in the Houston metro region. Us to a much lesser extent (even when we’re winning).

Having said all of that, I’m optimistic that the UH leadership team of Dr. Khator, AD Pezman, and Mr. Fertitta is as capable as any other, so I’m hoping we come out of this situation no weaker than we currently are.

UT, A&M and SEC will have majority eyeballs in Houston. But if B12 doesn’t add UH for the Houston market, who will be watching B12 games besides some tech fans once OU/UT gone. Adding UH would be the smart thing to do to get extra eyeballs. The 2015/2016 UH football teams drew a lot of eyeballs locally and nationally. We will get there again soon.

3 Likes

ESPN will be the one that decides IMO, not Baylor, TCU, Ok St, and the like.

1 Like

If the Big 12 is smart, they’ll realize that “two and done” here is risky. They need to put some distance between them and the AAC. But I’m not sure if they’re that smart.

However, I can see them by crippling the conference by adding four without us not being one of them and that has me concerned.

1 Like