Thoughts for Texas Tech

WOW! If Catalon, Birden, AND Car get 80-100 yards each, I guarantee there won’t be a receiver with a breakout game. I also think that would mean a sizeable lead where we are grinding out the clock. Which would be nice.

Take the over

I was there too, my first game as a coog. That game/season was amazing. used to live across the stadium at cougar place before it got torn down, the area around u of h looks totally different now

1 Like

I think he will not have as much time to throw against the Mad Dogs.

Guarantee?
Last year vs Louisville we ran 79 plays, 46/298 pass 33/64 rush. We know we can rush better than last year and TTU run D isn’t as good as Louisville’s. We can, I think, run 80-90 plays vs. TTU. Against Az and Rice we were almost exactly 50% run/pass and ran right at 75 plays. If we hadn’t pulled the starters early in the 3rd, we’d have hit 90 plays vs Rice, I think. We will have to average more yds/carry on the ground, closer to 5, to hit my prediction. I think we can do both of those and I think it’s the direction CMA wants the O to move. More yds/play and more plays. Keep the 50-50 run/pass balance.

oh, really shaggy?? We had 68,000 for the ranked aggies in 76, and we had plenty of students there, i was one of them…

Based on your statements…IF we have THREE running backs run for 80-100 yards EACH…we’re not throwing the ball much…so I stand by my statement. No receiver will have a “breakout” game. (which is undefined at the moment)

Eh. If you have 600 yards of total offense – totally a doable number against a terrible Tech defense, given that they gave up 570 a game last year – and 240-300 of those are rushing yards, it’s definitely possible that a reciever could get 100+ yards and a couple TDs. I don’t think Car will get enough touches to hit the 80-100 yard range, though.

Yup! I was a freshman for Game day. We stayed up all night, playing games, running around campus, we were so hyped for the game.

The students will be there and LIVE! believe me!

Unless we’re breaking off 20-30 yard runs a carry…running the ball with that many backs getting 80-100 yards each is a time eater. I don’t feel like doing the research, but has there ever been a 300 yard rushing/300 yard passing game with 3 backs getting 80-100 yards each? I seriously doubt it.

Let’s say we run 90 plays (which I think we will against Tech). Generally, if our offense is performing well, that means we’ll have something like a 50/40 run/pass split. Allen can probably do something like 30/40 for 280 yards and 3 TD. To hit 240 yards – the bare minimum for 3 RBs to get 80 yards each – that’s exactly 6 yards/carry, which is what Tech’s rush defense averaged last year. It’s totally doable. I still don’t think it’s likely because third RBs don’t get that many touches, but it’s definitely feasible.

1 Like

My biggest concern is that OC Johnson will slow things down to keep the TTU D on the field as long as possible. That’s a good strategy and would make it difficult to run 90 plays unless our D forces a lot of 3 and outs.

Breakout is relative to what a player has done up to this point versus expectations. For me, ‘breakout’ for those two would be 4-5 catches for 60-80 yards, 10-15 yds/catch.

For the run game, consider this: 80yds/5yds/carry = 16 carries. 16 carries/RB x 3 RBs = 48 carries. So maybe it is a stretch, but not a ridiculous one. Assuming we run 90 plays 50% run/pass than each RB has 15 carries x 5 yds/carry = 75 yds/RB.

Look at Clemson’s line from last week. I think it was 297 rushing, 316 passing. Two backs with 90-100. 6 or so others made up the rest. It is totally doable for 3 RBs to combine for 240-300 yds. I was on a team that did it. 2 RBs ran for about 240 combined and I chipped in with 60. So maybe the distribution doesn’t come out as even as I predict, but if Car emerges as the third RB we’re looking for, I don’t think I’ll be too far off. I don’t think we’ll see one RB go for 150+ unless the others are just ineffective.

1 Like

Or unless one of them breaks an 80 yard run.

1 Like

Exactly 2002. You won’t get 3 backs over 100 yards each chipping away at 3-4 yards per carry. Time wont allow it. That also assumes we have the hosses to pull it off and in my opinion, we don’t.

I just have a different opinion, that’s all. Although I did say that yards per carry would have to increase to 5 or close to it and I never said 3 backs over 100. That would be phenomenal. but three guys at 80, which was the bottom of prediction range, totally doable.