Time to start King at QB

The backup QB is always the most popular player when the starter isn’t playing well.

2 Likes

Tulane is much tougher and I really like Fritz. If CMA turns out to not be the answer and is let go in the next few years, I’d hope we’d seriously consider Fritz. Fritz and Tulane will be up for that game as well as they are shooting for a bowl game right now.

I’m still not sold on USF as Tulane may have been the toughest team they’ve played to date. We’ll find out this week. Navy plays everyone close it seems like, they aren’t as good as they have been either as Abey isn’t as good as their last two QBs. Tulane also got blown out by OU (not really surprising) and lost pretty badly to FIU so they’re about as inconsistent as we are. Should be a good game.

Hopefully, Tulane wakes up for Memphis this week and gives them their second in conference loss. Lots of Football to be played.

I have a crazy idea, but it would take a really good OC to pull it off (and had to be something he was already thinking about/working on). Go back to Allen as the starter with the offense more adjusted to a pocket passer, then have a package set up for King to come in and get drives as QB (which means he can’t play WR at all). It’s been done at UT to get Vince Young ready to take over full time, at Florida with Tebow. It can work and keeps defenses on their toes too. I thought Allen was just not comfortable with the offense and could be better in a different offense. Maybe not and he will fail, but at least we know 100% that he cant be the QB for us. Also works King in slowly to prevent him from getting torn apart and never put back at QB. We know what we have in Postma and he is a senior so really no point for him to be back in, maybe even let him go in as a WR to keep him on the field since he has been a great Cougar.

I agree King needs time this year at QB. I’ve argued on other threads that it would be harder to prepare for UH if both Postma and King were on the field all the time, or at least 90%, AND we switched them around between WR and QB so the D would have have basically two offenses to prepare for each week, one when King is WR or slot or RB and one when Postma is WR or slot (dont’ think he would work as RB).

Tweet from Duarte:

“Major Applewhite on D’Eriq King: ‘We need to keep adding to [his workload].’ Adds ‘there are some things we’d like to slide him in at QB’”

Looks like he might play some more QB, just not start and be full time.

Also grateful to Postma for filling in brilliantly while Ward was out against Flast.

Really appreciate what Postma has been able to accomplish as a back-up and the effort that he has shown as a starter. Good Coog. If they let King have some QB reps, Postma’s reps at QB might just get fewer and fewer.

I think Kyle Allen is done as a Cougar unless you see major injuries to both Postma and King. Something must have happened behind the scenes that we haven’t heard about and Allen will probably be transferring as soon as he can graduate this fall. Doesn’t make any sense why he hasn’t seen the field, especially in the Tulsa game, since the Tech game.

Our offense has been OK. Its the defense–42 points in a half–that needs scrutiny.

1 Like

Our offense, was good last week. I won’t fault them for the loss. And the D was bad. But our offense had been putrid most of the year. No free passes for them either.

2 Likes

Memphis doesn’t have a good defense and we scored on them I wouldn’t get too excited about that game. Tulsa has an awful defense and we did nothing in that game.

I don’t think King gives us any better of chance to beat USF by making his first start ever. I think you keep Postma in for one more game and if he leads us to a major upset he keeps the job but if he loses, then he is 2-3 as a starter and King can get his first start against ECU. Giving King his first start ever against a 7-0 ranked team on the road, is not exactly setting him up for success.

Now if Postma is having a bad day and the defense is keeping the game close, then give King a chance to be the hero.

Unless I missed something, I’m pretty sure KP is going to start, however King will take some snaps. How many will most likely depend on how well he performs.

We talk a great deal about the offense, and what changes need to be made. Many valid points have been made. The problem with our Coogs is the lack of a competitive defense. The defense in the Memphis game was horrible. No matter what we do on offense, until the defense is completely overhauled, we will not be competitive as a team.

So overall the defense that has had 5 great games, 1 mediocre game and 1 bad half? Ever heard of throwing out the baby with the bath water?

1 Like

We did it! King was awesome!

1 Like