To give you an idea of just how far we've come!

I looked at a media guide this morning.

Back in 1995, when I was in law school at UH, we only drew 32,500 for a home game at the Dome against…get this now…TEXAS!!!

And ya know what? A majority of those fans were probably Texas fans.

That same season, we only drew 13K at home for SMU, 17K for Baylor, and 15K for Texas Tech.

This weekend, we’ll likely have over 40K in attendance for a game against…LAMAR!!!

ON CAMPUS!!!

And nearly all of those in attendance will be UH fans!!!

That should give you an idea of just how far we’ve come!!!

EAT 'EM UP COOGS!!!

6 Likes

Much more significant gap…

Helton…>>>>> Herman !!!

Ah the end of the SWC. I remember those days. Pretty depressing.

It got worse. I remember the 0-10 season under Dimel. It was better under Briles when I was in undergrad, and better still with Sumlin when I was in law school. Nothing like this. Against Lamar!

The thing that is most remarkable is that the growth has been organic. We are no longer really wondering how many opposing fans a team will bring not to fill the stadium. Now a school returns ticket, not a problem, we have buyers.

I was at most of those games back then. I became a season ticket holder in in the O’fer season. At one game I went in and out like 10 times with new tickets each time in the effort to help bump attendance numbers.

When my kids were little they would literally have almost a whole section to run around in play in during the game.

Oh how times have changed. UH has worked hard and earned every bit of it.

2 Likes

Five star post, lawman.

That and watching the crow being served to those that kept saying we “brought nothing to the table”. Beating the champ is putting something on the table.

I’d expect 28-30K

Interesting to see how far we’ve come in 20 years, but let’s also not forget how far we had fallen. Check out the attendees on these games…

We were 0-11 when I was a freshman, that’s how far we’ve come. Ah, the good old days.

Helton years were so depressing. Helton’s offenses were just horrible to sit through, especially after experiencing the run and shoot years. Helton also decided we needed to focus on Florida for recruiting as he didn’t believe we could recruit Texas.