Tom Penders...the petty side

https://twitter.com/tompenders/status/1081667096331853830?s=21

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if CTP has a personal relationship with Major. Weren’t they both at UT-A at the same time?

2 Likes

No. I’m guessing this is more about Tom being pushed out as opposed to taking up for Major.

2 Likes

Well…we did get rid of Tom after he got us to the NCAA tourney for the first time in forever.

And, he isn’t wrong.

16 Likes

Very surprising. Tom has been a staunch supporter of the program since his departure. Very disappointing considering his behavior to date.

2 Likes

I say that’s good advice.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I don’t remember him attacking the AD and others at the time of his release the way he disparaged Fertitta personally. Cheap shot that I think has to do more with hurt feelings over Briles and Applewhite…his pals.

1 Like

Don’t lose to Tulane, SMU and don’t get humiliated in a bowl. Tom sounds bitter.

7 Likes

Good point. I took it as him joking around, but it is Penders. He may be bitter about things and acting out.

He was always a coaches’ coach, didn’t like admin or boosters much, so you’re probably right.

4 Likes

I heard Kevin Sampson say the Same thing a few days ago: “We are with you win or tie”. Tom is telling the truth. We can’t afford to have a losing record and be relevant. It is the G5 life. You can go to P5 schools and not win for three years, but at G5 schools that want to be relevant, you have to win immediately. We are not Rice, where 8 - 4 will keep you around for 10 years…

5 Likes

Tom is right, but there is no way he doesn’t understand the situation we are in. This wasn’t a pleasure firing, we are scratching and clawing for our life and sadly can’t afford the smallest liability that other schools would barely grumble about.

7 Likes

He went to bat some for UH against Thamel. What is his relationship with Major?

2 Likes

I’ll give him a pass. Besides, I’m OK with our coaches being uncomfortable with losing.

4 Likes

You are right…take out “the guy with the fish houses” part, and he is absolutley correct. I just feel that is an unwarranted and cheap shot at an individual who for all practical purposes has kept us relevant. Petty and takes away from his message.

3 Likes

The guy that pays the piper calls the tune. The guy that owns the fish houses pays our piper – and I am thankful for it! He can call any tune he wants.

2 Likes

Yes, I thought about clarifying that part. The fish monger guy thing was an uncalled for shot.

Uhhh … what exactly did he say that WASN’T TRUE …

Did our prez take OFF THE BOARD/REDACT her statement about ending up with an 8 - 4 record …

In ALL THE HOOPLA and fireworks with Holgerson coming on board … that warning STILL APPEARS to be

IN EFFECT … that and

Don’t lose to any non P5 school in the future … 70+ points to our only making 14 or less … on Nat’l TV to boot

1 Like

He didn’t get fired, he resigned… and while that tourney appearance definitely counts, they got hot and won the conference tourney.

4 Likes

Not everyone was comfortable with Applewhite’s firing…but it had to happen. Coach Sampson seemed kind of “no nonsense” about it. Maybe he’s always that way?

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1081374447414726656?s=19

1 Like

He was pushed out.

1 Like