Top 25 QBs-Why isn't King on the list?

Intelligence is pure speculation but instincts is not? That gave me a chuckle. I like both QBs. UH is lucky to have had both put on the uniform for the university. I am no football expert so I am not going to weigh on the debate. I just liked your comment.

1 Like

how is that a chuckleā€¦
intelligence is pure speculation, how can you tellā€¦we arenā€™t in coaches room, we arenā€™t seeing them call plays, we dont know if one was running the offense or if the oc was just in the headset telling him everything to doā€¦intelligence doesnt come off on filmā€¦arguably one of the smartest qb in recent history is joshua dobbs from Tennessee , he is got a chancellors award for his work in aero space engineeringā€¦his qb stats were also subpar and he threw a lot of picsā€¦his film doesnt scream genius but he is

instinct is blatant and obvious on filmā€¦ if someone is attacking you and you stand there and dont moveā€¦while some else takes instant reaction to prevent itā€¦thats instinctā€¦instinct is actually a graded quality by draft professionals/scouts who have never met the recruits before

Itā€™s a chuckle because I read it and chuckled. I admitted I am not a football expert but sounded odd to me to have instinct as a factual measure.

I will be interested to see the NFL grades on both. Where can I find Wardā€™s NFL grade for Instincts? Is that something that Lance Z keeps?

It most certainly does. Itā€™s called Football IQ. Hereā€™s an example: Tom Brady-high football IQ; Blaine Gabbert-low football IQ. lol

Deriq won that USF game by making good decisions. He had an incredible throwing game vs ECU.

I think King is capable of doing damageā€¦ He looked great at the Spring game

I think what youā€™re referring to as instinct is kind of what I meant by intelligence. Itā€™s a small college sample size for King, but I donā€™t recall him making any bad decisions or crazy risky throws, except for the 4th and 28 against USF, but he didnā€™t really have a choice there. Football intelligence (as opposed to general intelligence like your Joshua Dobbs reference) to me means someone with great instincts who understands the game and is capable of making quick, tough decisions under pressure. Ward was really good in that arena and I think King will be too. But like I said, only time will tell.

We won that game against USF on a miracle fourth down pass by King and then an unbelievable weaving run for a touchdown in the final momentsā€¦but without the miracle catch, there would have been no dramatic run to pay dirtā€¦

We could say the same thing about some of the victories during Hermanā€™s tenureā€¦

Good players make plays and sometimes the football gods are with you.

1 Like

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-american-athletic-conferences-quarterbacks-2018

Behind Milton, Perry, Banks, and Hicks

5. Dā€™Eriq King, Houston

The quarterback situation in Houston got a little more interesting with the late addition of Tennessee transfer Quinten Dormady this spring. However, King is still expected to be the starter, especially since his athleticism and ability to direct an up-tempo attack is a good fit for new coordinator Kendal Briles. King received snaps at quarterback and receiver in 2016 but moved to a full-time role under center last fall. Over 10 appearances (with five starts), King threw for 1,260 yards and seven touchdowns and rushed for 379 yards and eight scores.

The only QB on this list who should be ahead of King is Milton. No chance Perry will have a better year at Tulane, Hicks lost 2 tremendous weapons and was never really all that good anyway, and other than being responsible for taking snaps, Perry isnā€™t really a QB in the Navy system. I have a feeling this author is going to look incredibly stupid after just a few weeks this year.

4 Likes

King comes in at 51

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-starting-quarterback-rankings-2018

Kingā€™s response to that:

https://twitter.com/DeriqKing_/status/994242653624549376

3 Likes