Transfer Poll

None. I can’t remember which recruits I am supposed to be excited for until they hit the field.

I forget about players once they leave.

I think for us it is time for multiyear NIL contracts.

Tie them in. Alton used us to rehab and then took his talents to (who knows). That ain’t cool.

2 Likes

Justin Murphy

It’s D’Eriq King for me…

because of how things went down with CDH’s strange & unprecedented decision to Red Shirt many starting players, and how that set off a wave of befuddlement & distrust among fans in Dana as HC, and the UH Administration (especially Fertitta) for having hired him in the first place.

CDH’s infamous “tanking” decision, disgraced UCLA Grad Transfer, Justin Murphy’s public rant blasting Dana on Twitter, and some social media posts & behind the scenes comments from D’Eriq’s family, including his father telling Berman that D’Eriq was going to transfer out of UH, which D’Eriq later recanted in public (only to end up leaving at the end of the season), all played out in public and fed the National Sports News outlets, who poked fun at the Program, quoting Khator’s unfortunate & now infamous “…we’ll fire Coaches for going 8-4…” statement.

TL;DR: D’Eriq Transferring out dealt a stronger blow to a Football Program that was confidently showing-off how they were able to go on the hunt and “poach” a P5 Head Coach for once.

I feel like D’Eriq’s decision (and CDH’s Red Shirt Fiasco) ended up having negative consequences as far as how Coog Fans perceived the direction the Program was headed in, and deflated a fanbase that wanted to believe we could maintain the H-Town Takeover momentum.

1 Like

I think all this stuff is overshadowed by giving up the equivalent of 11 TD’s in one game to a .500 team. To me that had more of an impact than all the transfers combined.

4 Likes

Wasn’t it D’Eriq and his father who decided to sit out when we lost to Tulane? I believe D’Eriq or his father said that in an interview.

Man, I forgot about Sims transferring out lol. AM hurts kind of but maybe I am disconnected since he didn’t play last season and we have a decent RB room.

Mills never really established himself and his leaving opened up an opportunity for Sasser to emerge.

For me it’s Tramon because he was one of the core culture guys at one point and I was looking forward to his senior season.

Coming off an embarrassing 2nd half collapse to lose at Tulane and King playing awful he decided to sit and use the RS. All while claiming he was still going to be a Cougar.

1 Like

None, we have gotten more ballers via transfer than we have lost, next up.

Sims did win a Heisman for me in NCAA Football 2011, to think what could have been if he stayed.

1 Like

Alton. Not even close imo.

CTH

1 Like

You people upset about the transfers might as well tune out college football. UH should get it’s fair share of quality transfers. Hopefully, this will be Dana’s last year. Last year he didn’t seem interested at all being a HC. Looked burned out

1 Like

I’m not that shocked by it because I had a premonition this would happen. I don’t know why but whenever a player at UH alludes to family problems it usually ends in a divorce. Maybe I’m compartmentalizing but that’s the way my memory sees it. Some players don’t adjust to our university like others. Its a different place, and sometimes the allure of shiny things is enough to make them hit the road looking for the Wizard of oz.

I would say Sims because the rules and environment were different back then. Our whole team could enter the portal tomorrow and I wouldn’t be shocked. Welcome to college football in 2023. Sure makes one not want to invest much in these guys until kickoff.

id go (how i felt at the time): i honestly get over most in like a week

my #1 was danuel house, becuase i thought he would be elite under Sampson (honestly we probably would have been had he stayed)

d’eriq king becuase so much was done for him to come back and have a magical year… we imploded a team to have a great year the following year with him, and after waiting so long to then abandoned us… i didnt have much faith in tune then either …

then mccaskill & sims because mccaskill was the only shinning hope for next year… he was the bright spot in the mist of the negativity and now thats gone… sims played a similar role after the 2012 season…

tashawn didnt sting as much because the team was already collapsing when he transferred

mills despite the media hype was a bench player- we just lost a role player… and for tramon i have faith in the staff to replace players

2 Likes

I’m 71 so my experience goes back to when we weren’t allowed to go to water fountain during 2-3:hour practices in high school and the pro teams had the same players for years and you knew their names.

I lost my enthusiasm for professional football NFL & basketball NBA because of free agency with players airing out their unhappiness about only making millions of dollars. I gave up my Houston Oilers tickets and changed the TV channel to college football and basketball.

Then One and Done came along. It hasn’t really been that many players and college basketball rosters are small enough they will change anyway.

Then ESPN came along. I thought at first it was great. But at some point they were monopolizing and monetizing all sports (enough money to get some of the old networks to come back in). It was when BCS came along that I realized they were taking over college football (along with online gambling sites).

Now we NIL (controlled by the same kind of boosters who would regularly bring punishments against the university.

Now we have the transfer portal where every punk who had to settle for a full ride scholarship for a college degree that he/she was so grateful for can hide on Twiiter tell the fans how he was abused and unused.

7 Likes

There is no reason for a coach to stay loyal or try to improve a player’s skill set either. Why waste all that time and energy to see the dude leave the next season. It’s easier to used that time and energy searching the portal to get a better player and dump the old one. The college game will become more a business and less of what it used to be. Which saddens me a little.

1 Like

I completely agree with everything you wrote. I would also like to piggy back of you and add, we are in the Big 12! Think about it for a second. I graduated over 23 years ago and when I see were our athletics has come in that time despite all the players that have ever transferred or coaches that used us as a stepping stone or AD’s that moved on. I am seriously impressed. When I was attending UH we had maybe one winning season and we were in CUSA. Now look at us. The program as progressed so far in just that time and with solid management our program will continue to grow regardless of what happens or who leaves.

I also feel that the NIL is an advantage for schools in big cities. No longer do you need alumni with deep pockets. Now you need hype and businesses with deep pockets. In my opinion, the next big step is for UH to capitalize on the business in the city and surrounding areas and I think we are starting to create that infrastructure with what Goessling and a few others are doing.

2 Likes

Who’s he?

5 for now. Mark did it the right way and for the right reasons.

In my opinion that is why you have to get them to sign a multi year NIL contract. Yeah you could still transfer but there would be monetary penalties for not fulfilling the contract.

3 Likes