Transfer Portal Coog

Henry Thomas just joined.

https://247sports.com/Player/Henry-Thomas-46038813/

I do not recall his name this season. Might have redshirted?

He was a true freshman. I don’t recall that he played so I’m sure he red-shirted. Has some speed too. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

1 Like

speed… gotta love speed!

Redshirt freshman. He played in a couple of games last year and redshrited and didnt see the field this year.

1 Like

I remember him having a good game last year but didn’t remember seeing him since so I looked it up. He played in one game (Texas Southern) where he had 2 receptions for 50 yards with 1 TD. I remember him being pretty fast, shame it didn’t work out and good luck to him.

1 Like

He was in that speed class with Morgan and Sawyer. They have to step it up or be buried even more on the depth chart with more guys coming in. Wish HT the best wherever he lands.

1 Like

I know Morgan saw the field a little bit this year. I think him and Sawyer could potentially break into the rotation next year since we have some senior receivers and possibly Stevenson depending on his draft garde leaving.

1 Like

What happens to a player if nobody picks them up off the portal? Are they eligible to stay and play the following season?

I’m going to try this portal thing again. lol I THINK the answer is yes, as long as coach did not giveaway their spot/scholly.

1 Like

It all depends on the school/coach. They can return/withdraw from the portal if they are wanted by the current school. Now some schools have a pretty hard line that if you enter the portal, the athletes enter “dead to me” territory.

1 Like

Entering the portal does not mean you absolutely have to leave. You can very easily take your name out and return to your current school.

I dont think any coach wants someone exploring their options especially a Fr or So. They’re gone when they do that. I don’t think any coach has taken someone back after entering the portal.

I may be wrong, but I think the question was more along the lines of, does the athlete forfeit his scholarship upon entering the portal? Obviously a coach would not be happy with a player for doing so, which could greatly affect his playing time if he comes back. But does the coach have any grounds to strip the player of his scholarship just because he entered the portal?

Really it’s kind of an at will system. Scholarships get renewed yearly, I don’t know when exactly those get renewed but it is certainly within a programs power to take the scholarship away from the player.

1 Like

Typically, once you enter the portal, all of your access to the program, such as work out facility, training table, etc. go away.
I guess a coach could allow access, if he wants a player to stay, but otherwise it’s gone.

Another one just entered too. Noah Jones 3 star DE, who hasn’t played. I feel like a lot of these guys are what happens with bigger schools all the time. In post season evaluation staff is probably telling these guys “we don’t see you developing into a starter/we just recruited some kid behind you.”