Transfer Portal news 4.0

https://twitter.com/benrobertshl/status/1660077581578764291?s=46&t=2YVR6O6JDXKjL10XhmoZmg

the recent talks about us not having NIL to get mid level bigs, ive almost given up on nelson who is considered the best forward in the portal

6 Likes

I thought we had a big NIL with Matress Mac?

I think other schools offer a higher pay out even if they can’t pay it or even if they do have it. I think we do have the backing but do not want to affect team chemistry or we just don’t want to bid. We want them to come here because of us and us making them better. Kids just want the payout now.

2 Likes

We are Guard U.

We recruit and develop guards very well.

But talented forwards, maybe dont like our system as much.

Sampson has been here almost 10 yrs, and most of our former 4s/5s are playing overseas. No shame in that. They’re pros, but not the NBA

Some programs do have a better track record with getting forwards to the league

Is that a reason for Grant Nelson? No, NIL is probably a huge factor, when you’re the biggest fish in the portal

2 Likes

Coach did some good work working with Dwight Howard too. Wild when you think of the list of players he coached

2 Likes

I hope this season doesn’t wear coach out. This is going to be a tough slog compared to where we’ve been. We have the perimeter but we’re gonna take a pounding down low. Lets hope Francis learns how to play with referees on the court. There’s something about his play that attracts whistles.

2 Likes

I think it’s the fouling. :thinking:

9 Likes

Its like in chess or any sport, sometimes you play to your opponents skill. The AAC might have stunted the growth of the coogs in that manner.

Maybe he should hire someone that specializes in recruiting/coaching bigs.

Guy V is in heaven

2 Likes

Probably well known, but Francis needs help with his footwork. He needs to learn that taking 6 foot strides is not conducive to his basketball career. He needs to be coached up on keeping his strides shorter when running the court, but more importantly inside the paint. I believe this would help a lot with his fouls and positioning and overall productivity.

4 Likes

1 Like

Kansas, Duke positioned as 1 and 2 next season

Kentucky…alot of questions.

1 Like

theyll be a top 10 team if tshiebwe comes back…and honestly arent that bad without him. theyll just be heavily reliant on freshmen… if it wasnt Kentucky and the pressures of being kentucky most would note how good of a roster they have … they just have a title or bust thing going there

1 Like

If this was Kentucky pre-2020-21, id be more confident in them for next season. Talented 5 stars coming in and producing

But with their fanbase turning on Calipari, their offensive struggles, them doing nothing in the portal, im skeptical

2 Likes

I don’t like that roster in the transfer portal era especially with Cal. You have to be old to win at a high level now.

1 Like

Hasnt really changed. Your natural athletic progression is highest between the ages 18-25 or so. A good 22 year old is usually physically/athletically better than a great 18 year old. So its always been to your advantage to be old (see: BYU and their post mission teams).

Its also why the NBA values age so strongly on their draft algorithms. If you are succeeding against 19-23 year olds as an 18 year old that projects phenomenally over a 21 year old dominating again his peers and youngers.

Like Sasser was clearly better than Jarace Walker this year, but he’s nowhere close to Jarace on the basis of potential.

But of course, wisdom also comes with age and experience.

3 Likes

Works the exact same way in baseball….more about projection than anything.

https://247sports.com/article/college-basketball-transfer-portal-caleb-love-landing-spots-ariz-210686661/

Texas, Arizona, Gonzaga interested in Caleb Love