Tune Ranking

Clayton Tune was ranked #45 by PFF. Interesting stat when he has time to throw

“Tune has taken a big leap from his first two seasons at the collegiate level. He has raised his 63.7 PFF grade as an underclassman to 81.6 in 2020. Sometimes he holds onto the ball a bit too long, but he has been great on those longer-developing plays when his first read isn’t there. Tune’s passing grade on plays where his time to throw eclipses 3.1 seconds is the sixth-best in the FBS.”

9 Likes

But he’s horrible…blah…blah…blah

7 Likes

There you go! With time to pass, rated 6th best in the FBS but some knuckleheads on here seem to want to see him replaced.

5 Likes

He’s remarkable, a real leader in the mode of Gary ‘Moon’ Mullins.

2 Likes

Another year of seasoning i expect him to be even better…I definitely feel we should be using him in the run game more. Love what we did last Saturday with that…only blemish was that pick 6 in 4th.

2 Likes

Feels about right.

Pass protection has been much better this year. Last year, I don’t know that he ever had 3.1 secs in the pocket, only when scrambling.

2 Likes

3.1 seconds is a long time to hold the ball. I’m thinking those are mostly broken plays.

1 Like

It depends on the routes. Some people have complained about the lack of long passes, but it will take most WRs more than 3.1seconds to travel 40 yards or more. If anyone that knows of a player that can, please forward the information to coach Lewis.

5 Likes

I think we’re touching on elements of the offensive play design within an “air raid” system.

As I recall from attending and watching our recent games against both Texas Tech and Washington State, it seemed that their QB’s would sometimes stand in the pocket for 3-5 seconds before delivering the pass. And that’s quite different from what we’ve been accustomed to seeing at UH.

If our QB could stand in the pocket that long we wouldn’t have any problems on offense.

4 Likes

My biggest concern with Tune is his pocket presence after getting pressured and sacked a couple of times. Other than that he has looked pretty good this season.

2 Likes

You may be right. When the QB starts 5 yards behind the LOS 3 seconds is a long time. I don’t know if there are official stats on this number, but it would be interesting to look at.

Don’t forget the hang time. If a wr has run 30 yards before the qb throws the ball, he’ll probably run another 20 before the ball lands. And we’re talking minimum 3.1 seconds, most of the plays are going to be longer than that.

3 Likes

Once we establish a decent running game and can actually be an up-tempo type team, we’re looking at a draft pick

1 Like

it’s not the lack of long passes, it’s the lack of long pass completions…his timing is off

2 Likes

I’m just repeating what was said on here friend. I think Tune’s a good QB and he and this offense are really going to shine next season regardless of who is catching passes.

5 Likes

If he has all day to throw he is great. But he does not get all day to throw. All of the QBs who have all day are in the Top 5. They don’t worry about their jersey getting dirty. But we do not get 4/5 star Olinemen. So he needs to be better with less time, not more time.

Tune is a good UH quarterback. Before he leaves school, he will be known as a great UH quarterback. Most of the people saying otherwise can’t evaluate talent and/or have an understandable bias towards Dual Threat quarterbacks which isn’t crazy considering the performances we’ve witnessed in recent years from Greg Ward and D’eriq King.

Go back and look at Kyle Allen for instance. His UH career was more hype than anything yet he has proven himself as NFL caliber quarterback. Pocket passers need time. Give Tune a good offensive line next year and he will shred defenses through the air. As fun as it is to see a quarterback break off big runs, I sure don’t miss seeing a wide open receiver being overthrown by 5 yards for a walk in touchdown.

9 Likes

Can’t wait to see what Masood and Tune bring to the table. I’ve seen enough of Tune to give my judgement . People who say he doesn’t get enough time is just a cop out. Our offensive line may not be the best but it’s not horrible neither. 🤷

1 Like