Tune to begin spring as #2 qb

Is this true? If it is, what happened to Bryson Smith…is he injured?

According to JD, it is:

Sixth slide says “Tune is expected to begin the spring getting reps as the No. 2 QB.”

No idea on Bryson and his status.

I guess Tune has impressed them in practice more than Smith.

My guess is that Tune is the de facto #2 because he was a very specific target of Kendal Briles. This doesn’t mean Smith won’t surpass Tune, but Briles obviously sees something in Tune that made him to go so hard after him in recruiting. It does make me wonder that if Tune comes out of the spring as the solid #2, does Bryson Smith try to make a move to WR? Should be a fun spring.

You might be speculating right, but it would be hard for me to believe that they would bump a new guy on campus over a kid who has been here over a year. I would think CMA would wait until after the spring game before he picks a second team quarterback. Nothing against Tune, and I hope he is a future all world, but he has proven absolutely nothing to this point. Something has to be up with Smith IMO…

5 Likes

wow some other interesting quotes from briles

There will no longer be “inside” and “outside” receiver designation.
“We want the best four receivers on the field,” Briles said. He adds: “We’d like to get guys in one-on-one matchups and put a lot of pressure on the defense.”

3 Likes

anyone remember when the open practice is?

2 Likes

Kinda of disappointing considering I’ve been waiting for Bryson Smith to show what he has this coming season ever since he signed out of HS.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if grades are keeping him off of the field. Total speculation, but a possibility.

I honestly don’t know if too much is to be made of this right now. When practices start, you have to start with presumptions on 1st unit, 2nd unit, etc. I would have presumed Smith would be considered the #2, but obviously that is not the case. But they have to slot someone there to start with. Surely this doesn’t mean the rotation is set in stone.

1 Like

Open practices only for former players, parents, and HS coaches.

I was under the impression Bryson was locked at #2 and everyone else was going to redshirt. I mean Bryson if you guys dont remember kept our 2017 class together. He was very solid and big on us he showed a tremendous amount of loyalty to OUR UNI not our old coach. This if true sucks.

2 Likes

It’s not about how you start, but how you finish.

1 Like

Given the passing offense, it is no surprise he likes pocket passers.

1 Like

Maybe so, but there is no way, at least in my way of thinking, that you publically crown a kid with the second string quarterback this early…talk about some team morale problems. I think CMA wants the best quarterbacks, so why in the world would a pure rookie go into camp jacked up on the depth chart. I hope nothing is wrong with Smith health wise,or maybe he feels like his best chance at reaching the next level is playing somewhere else on the field…
I agree we are probably making too much of this and should let it all play out. But I still don’t believe this staff would bring in any rookie and deem him No.2 at any position unless there absolutely was no depth…

Seriously, we just got a new OC. As far as I am concerned EVERYONE has to win its spot on the Team. That includes King and all of the so called starters. Competition invites competition that is the only to get better, That’s how every Team gets better. Football is not a picnic. Nothing should be given before it is earned. Every new season is a new start. Unfortunately our society is now giving medals for just participating. This has got to stop. Interestingly enough and unfortunately enough you have professional and high caliber amateur athletes demanding that they start. As soon as this is the case the so called athlete should be demoted to the back of the line.
Sports is an example of life. Nothing is given to you and it surely should not be the case for our sports athletes.

3 Likes

No QB in our camp has taken a snap in a real game other than King who is the #1 QB. I assume he will keep that position; but nothing is guaranteed – just ask Jalen Hurts. The best guy for the spot should be starting whether it is King, Tune, Smith, or whomever. When a kid is being recruited, he is told he will have a chance to earn the starting position and that is what will happen. A coach just has to make the best decision for the team and let the chips fall where they may.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/970870681926754305

CMA says in the video that we have to find a #2 QB option. Either he is omitting something or Duarte is spreading misinformation.

Reading the Chronicle’s quote again, it may not mean Tune is the backup, just means that he’s getting reps as the #2. Could also mean that others are getting reps there as well.

Based off what CMA is saying, I’m guessing everyone not named D’Eriq King is getting reps at #2. Poor reporting by the Chronicle is my guess.

7 Likes

For a publication that still employs Jermone Solomon, this is not surprising. Although, I do expect better out of JD.

4 Likes