TV Contract Question

Yep, Turner/Warner Networks seem to be interested in getting a piece of college football during this cycle as well.

Big 10 commissioner Warren said earlier this week that Turner was interested in the Big 10 along with Apple and Amazon.

If Turner doesn’t get a piece of the Big 10, I could see them being a significant bidder for the Big 12.

Maybe you could ask us a bit differently like Cougarfred suggested.

Personally I do not see sports fitting Netflix portfolio.
CBS is again bidding high on college football and so is NBC. These new media contracts will IMO define conference realignments.

Fox greatly enhanced its presence when they got the NFL. CBS badly mishandled the NFL, not only did they lose the NFL, they lost a lot of local affiliates. While KHOU and Houston are an outliers, most CBS stations were channel 2 nationwide. A lot of those stations are now Fox stations. CBS got the NFL from NBC which has been mostly relegated to Olympic sports and Sunday Night Football ever since.

If Warner Brothers Discovery wants to get involved in bidding it’s going to be a major player. They have a lot of networks where they could broadcast/stream (CW network, TBS, TNT just to start)

When the last round of bidding for the AAC came around, it was NBC and ESPN. This time there’s a lot more players, hence a lot more bidders. This new Big XII contract could be a very nice one when all is said and done. And is that ACC contract going to age badly (it already has.)

The only way I can see them breaking that contract would be to create a new entity, similarly to when the Big 8 and SWC ceased to exist and the Big XII was formed. That’s going to be a tall order. Much to its chagrin, the ACC really made it difficult to leave and tightened up its GOR when Maryland left. I don’t see simple expansion by adding one or two schools as a way to get out of the contract.

Thanks Alex, I learn something new every day, I didn’t know Warner Bros had those networks.

1 Like