TWO Pre-Season All-Americans!

3 Likes

Not to steal anyone’s thunder here but Murray is 2nd team and Raines is 3rd team….

After first team there about 40-5o’s guys each on second and third.

Title is a bit misleading.

1 Like

Counsel is attempting to Pez the jury, your Honor!!!

2 Likes

Great :+1: Job Coogs!

Now let’s go get some Baseball :baseball: Wins!

Go Coogs!

1 Like

The only one who deserves to be on there is Murray. Rainess still has a lot to prove just to get on the field. It will be interesting to see who they view as the starter during that first weekend!

1 Like

Congratulations to Mr Murray. He was just plain terrific last year. His AAC tourney play was off the charts.

I don’t know anything about the other selectee, but can hope he plays in the same stratosphere as the Dartmouth transfer.

1 Like

Raines had one good season at Maine.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m interested to see this guy pitch.

He was chosen in the 14th round by the Dodgers out of JUCO ball and chose to come to UH instead of starting his pro career.

This should be someone that Woody can really work with.

1 Like

He has pretty good stuff. For some reason, which was probably everyone was thinking he was going to sign, he was available late in the game. He is much better than anyone who we threw out there last year!

1 Like

Rainess, our third team AA, has a 0.237 BA and 0.398 SLG% which are 0.54% and 0.93%, respectively, below the team average. He also leads the team with seven errors. It hasn’t quite worked out as hoped.

Arbolita (0.365), Coll (0.352) and Murray (0.335) lead the way in BA.

Jelkin still has the second most IP at 34.1, behind Jean at 50.0.

Jelkin should have taken the $ and gone to the Dodgers to get developed by real coaches.

2 Likes

Exactly. Jelkin is the only AA talent on this team. I said Murray should have been on the preseason team based on what his numbers were last year. However, I did not think they would roll over to the Big 12. Last year he was good because of his age and this year the Big 12 talent is better than his age.

The worst was some magazine saying that Schmitz should be a pre season AA. He clearly is not!

1 Like

Agreed.

Just a tidbit….but Conner Bennett should be catching 90% of the games for these last few series.

He won’t , but he should be….we might of had a Big 12 Freshman of the Year, but we’ll never know.

1 Like

I agree that Bennett can hit at this level but I haven’t seen enough of him to tell if he is a Big 12 catcher yet. He should be getting all the run at C for the rest of the year, but I don’t see that happening.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen of most B12 teams, what it takes to be a B12 catcher is to be a great hitter.

A few years ago during Tech’s CWS run, they had a catcher who played atrocious defense. He just wasn’t good behind the plate, but the dude could swing it.

In any event, we’re not in a position where the catcher’s defense is going to make a difference this season.

A lot of coaches would tell you the opposite. It really depends on the coach. A lot of them want an extremely good defensive Catcher who takes care of the pitchers. Some want hitters and some want all three. I would say most would say they want great fielders and want them to control the pitching while having him hit is just a giant plus! I would tell you that I would want all three, but I am kind of selfish like that!

All coaches want all three. :laughing:

Most coaches will tell you they really value the defense, but when only a few will play a defensive catcher over an offensive one, unless he has a lineup that’s already loaded.

In the “old days” college coaches might have been more likely to play defensive catchers and see offense as a bonus, but I think that’s the exception now. They’re more likely to play a light-hitting middle infielder than a catcher that hits about the same.

I understand what you are saying but there are still coaches in the Big 12 that want their catchers to control the pitchers. That is their most important skill they want them to have. Saarloos at TCU is like that. So is the KSU coach, Pete Hughes. Of course, they will take all the offense you can give them and if they are about the same defensively, of course he is going to take the guy who hits better.