UCLA and Big 12 expansion

I think that a lot of us realize and are willing to deal with the inconveniences of playing in the pac12 speaks volumes to our distrust and reluctance of being involved with a conference of schools and people who have constantly and relentlessly oppressed us since it’s formation.

Plus the pac12 has been working with the networks to move marque matchups to prime time, so I wouldn’t assume we would always kick off at 9pm.

I’m still 100% on-board with joining the big12 but I’m not looking forward to the bs, rhetoric and all-around ugliness we, as fans, are going to deal with.

We made the trip in 2010 and 2012 when UH played UCLA out there. Rose Bowl stadium is iconic. It was really fun tailgating on the golf course that they turn into parking on game day.

The traffic was horrendous getting back to LA, so much so that we stayed in Monrovia after the game the 2nd trip. That alone has to hurt attendance.

3 Likes

They will get a TV extension, there’s never been an issue over that. The issue is how much it will be worth since there are no bluebloods in the conference. It will be worth more than we get now eventually (because we’ll go through a period of making less) but it won’t be as much as a typical P5 gets by about 50%. That’s the reason it won’t be stable because everyone will be looking for something better and I bet within 5 years Ok St and TT will be gone. I guess the good news would be losing those two wouldn’t reduce the value of the TV deal, but it will breed a continued unstable environment.

1 Like

Ah, so it’s not just a California issue.

UCLA is a big city school that really only cares about beating USC in football and playing basketball…and putting out world-renown surgeons.

They couldn’t care less about attendance. They have enough money to buy fans if they need to.

Note: I said buy and not rent.

They had over 68,000 for their game against LSU and also the Rose Bowl is iconic. Why wouldn’t they play their games there?

Correct. They had a great crowd for LSU and there weren’t many Tiger fans in attendance. It was an event and Angelenos seem to love events.

2 Likes

They will show when it matters. They don’t lose sleep over it, though.

Where would they build it? UCLA is landlocked. One side is Westwood, a bustling business area with tons of high rises. The other 3 sides are surrounded by Brentwood and Holmby Hills with house that run between $3-150 million.

They could play in the new NFL palace but that’s just as far away and in a sketchier area.

3 Likes

Apologies as it looks like my post was removed, I’m assuming because I used the word liberal. I just wanted to say that my point was not to bring up politics but just to comment on the difference in mindset. And it certainly wasn’t mean to disparage anyone’s views.

I’m sorry that it offended some people, as that certainly wasn’t my intent. I’ll stay away from labels like that going forward.

1 Like

It is closer than the rose Bowl but you are 100% correct. There is absolutely no room in Westwood to build a stadium, none. You all have to understand that the Southern California landscape is surrounded by mountains close to the ocean. Therefore the space available is always extremely limited. The only space possibly available is…on the ocean. The then San Diego Chargers even had plans to build a stadium gaining ocean’s space.

1 Like

….only in Cali…

Airports are a good example. LAX, San Diego or even the S.F. airports are “in town” They should have never been “placed” there. They should have been built an hour or so North to allow for expansion. ie: Intercontinental Airport and many others U.S. airports. Was it due to re-coup tax revenues?

What’s really “fun” is trying to find your rental car out on that unmarked parking lot/golf course after the game and in the dark.

6 Likes

Been there, done that.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JacquesDoucet/status/1434294230445223937?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1434294230445223937|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fucla-trolls-ed-orgeron-lsu-after-orgerons-sissy-blue-shirt-comment-to-bruins-fan-152633629.html