UH 4-0 Against UT and A&M

Beating UT and ATM twice each is sweet and I’d like to add beating NC State just for good measure!

1 Like

I don’t trust God to protect us against NC State, especially one making a run in March. We saw it not happen once and even McCallum had NC State beat at the Hof but, in the words of Ray Mac or close enough, the “basketball gods” were there to protect NC State against Houston as they always are in their win over him.

The only thing that could be in our favor is karma, that we beat and even blowout an NC State team making a major run in March since the conference tournament on the way to a national title.

In 89-90, we beat them 5 times - UT x3 and A&M x2.
In 91-92, we beat them 6 times.

3 Likes

Ok. So over 30 years.

WOW!!!

Well, the last year of the SWC was '95-'96, so you don’t have to go too far back in the record books. People tend to forget how crappy UT and A&M were in basketball in those days. Losing to them was like losing to Rice in football - meant you were in for a rough year.

2 Likes

Umm, UT went to the Elite 8 in 1990 , finished 1 game back of us in the last year of the SWC yet still made the Dance and won a game, then went to the Sweet 16 the next year in their first in the Big 12. Plus plenty of good between those years.

So don’t see how Whorns was equivalent to Rice football. A&M was maybe but WE were the Rice football of the SWC from about the end of '92 to the SWC’s dissolution.

They were the equivalent compared to us because we beat them every year. One outlier run in 1990 doesn’t change that. I’m sure you were there watching UT play during those years, right?

Anyway, my point was that we were consistently better than them in basketball most of the time, so sweeping those teams wasn’t really that surprising in those days.

I didn’t start following UH b-ball until 1996 but I also know enough about the early Alvin years, that we were very bad.

Yes, we were. The time period I described was before that, which led to us running off a coach because he didn’t get far enough in the NCAA tournament and replaced him with a succession of guys who never lost tournament games because they couldn’t get there.