UH Baseball Schd & Season-- 2024

This program is dead in the water we need a new direction desperately

2 Likes

I think it has to be agreed on pre-game. It’s mostly used on Sundays when the road team has to catch a flight or during a tourney when several games are played each day.

1 Like

I will say it again, the Romero theatrics helped demolish any momentum we had left. Losing Anderson was huge but this program has never been the same since Romero pulled his shenanigans

3 Likes

What were the Romero theatrics and what does it have to do with retaining CTW?

2 Likes

17-7.

Sounds like a pretty good FOOTBALL score!

:laughing:

4 Likes

In 2017 Seth Romero was a distraction. Once hailed as a top 10 prospect due to his speed and command as a LHP, he had multiple infractions causing him to be dismissed from the team but then reinstated in May 2017 (a month later). He pitched in two more games before being dismissed for good for apparently fighting with a teammate. He received a $2.8M signing bonus as the #25 pick by the Nationals. Had TJ surgery in August 2018 and broken hand in 2020 due to off field incident. Violated team policy at least once and then had two DWIs in 2022. Had a cup of coffee in the show with 5 Ks and 13.50 ERA.

In hindsight CTW should’ve kept him suspended and not gotten in a pissing match with Duarte about it. Seven long years ago. Was Frank Anderson the PC back then? Would he have wanted Romero back on the roster?

5 Likes

I am not going to bash Seth because I know him and followed him in high school at West Columbia .
He had his problems in high school, mostly self promoted.
But he was a lefty and threw the ball a consistent 93-95.
Many colleges backed off due to his grades and attitude.
Still I was happy to see him become a Cougar. He probably would have went to Texas or LSU but they backed away early.
I was hopeful Todd could turn him around but instead Romero turned our program in the wrong direction.
I think UH went overboard trying to get him lined out but to put it bluntly he spit in our face before finally getting expelled.
Had he been in the right frame of mind I truly think we would have made the World Series his last year.
That said I seriously pray Seth has turned his life around

4 Likes

Just caught up. UTA looks so small everywhere.

Improved enough to not get run ruled by Quad 4 teams. (UTA & AM-Corpus last season)
They now blow out Quad 4.
Hope next 2 v UTA then McNeese and Nichols aren’t the only wins left.

Not said as a joke.
Didn’t Romero bring bongs to practice or similar ?
I remember thinking it was an inside joke at the time

Did they count dogs in the attendance ?
Even 1272 tickets sold seems out there.

Love Bark in The Park weekend.

3 Likes

Where was mom and dad?

I have come across some super spoiled, bratty kids that were full of themselves……and usually the dad was feeding that ego.

Seth comes from a good family. Never met his dad but I met his mom and one of his sisters who both worked the concession stand at Roughneck games.
Romero had some problems in at least one class where he simply didn’t turn n his work in.
I think it all went to his head when the scouts started looking at him his junior year.
Seth was simply lazy and in my opinion babied in high school before him and his huge ego showed in Houston.
After the bong issue and an ensuing fist fight with a teammate Romero was finally released

1 Like

No one player could have that much impact on a baseball program. Romero is long gone but Whitting is still here. Whitting was lucky to get Anderson after Anderson was fired by Oklahoma State. Some credit goes to Trip Couch, but Anderson is the one most responsible for any success Whitting once had. Anderson took that success with him to Tennessee. His staff is currently 11th in the NCAA in team ERA and 3rd in ERA in the toughest conference in college baseball.

2 Likes

Frank Anderson was at UH from 2013-2017 so he was there for the Romero issues. Maybe he pushed to reinstate Seth in order to win.

Scoreless in bottom of second. Three hits for UTA to one for the Coogs. Man on first and one out. Richie Roman struggling a bit with control but the Mavs are scoreless.

Tre Jones knocks in a run and we’re up 1-0 in the second. Headed to top of third. Stranded guys on second (walked/steal) and third.

2-1 UTA to bottom of third. Roman gave up a 2 run HR but lasted 2.2 innings and about 46 pitches.

2-1 UTA to top of fourth. Nice fielding by UTA led to three up, three down. Solid crowd in lower deck.

2-1 UTA to bottom of fourth. Kyle Lacalamato with 2 Ks and throw from third.

2-1 UTA to top of fifth. 4-6-3 DP. Single and K.

2-1 UTA to bottom of fifth. 1, 2, 3 inning for UH.

3-2 UH to top of sixth. 2 run single. Diving catch, caught stealing and K. Coogs getting to the pitcher.

3-2 UH to bottom of sixth. 1, 2, 3 inning for UH.

3-2 UH to top of seventh. Double was squandered with K and then 4-6-3 DP.

7-3 UTA to bottom of seventh. Calameto replaced by Schmitz after giving up triple and HR. Schmitz replaced after two straight walks. The soon to be 25 year old, Justin Murray, in to pitch. Hope he can repeat his recent magic. Gave up double and sac fly.

7-3 UTA to top of eighth. End inning with double play.

7-3 UTA to bottom of eighth. 1, 2, 3 inning for Murray.

7-3 UTA to top of ninth. HBP leads to ending inning with double play.

7-3 UTA to bottom of ninth. Single to LF but nothing else. Here we go! Last chance…

7-3 Final. Got a guy to third but UH hit into fifth DP of the night.

1 Like

Just got home from dinner and decided to put the game on. We are not a serious program.

4 Likes

I didn’t expect to win with Roman getting his first start. He only gave up two runs in 2.2 innings and got some good experience. When we only score three in nine innings, it’s a bit of hard cheese. You’d think we could score more after last night.

Does Calameto going four innings a bit too much? Obviously in retrospect but is that more than he usually goes? Schmitz was taken out quickly after not having good command and giving up two walks. Murray comes in a bit cold and gives up Schmitz’s runners and another one.

UH hit into five DPs tonight. A bit surprising versus UTA.

Awful awful awful. Seriously why even field a team. Just let Whitting pleasure the 4-7 guys who keep telling Pez he’s the answer.

1 Like

Took a nosedive in Warren Nolan’s RPI. Dropped 15 spots to #114. But hey, it’s okay. We’re just 1 game under .500.

1 Like

We’re a basketball school. Yez is willing to overlook this program and women’s b-ball.

2-1 Coogs bottom of second. Antoine Jean gave up a couple singles and a walk in second but only one run. Need bats to keep connecting.

3 Likes

“Oh goodness!” Men on first and third. Murray knocks ball back to pitcher and his glove falls off with the ball. Pitcher throws to catcher who runs down guy on third heading home. Guy from first tries to sneak into third but catcher tags him out on his slide. Ends the inning. “Oh goodness!”

Fast forward. 6-2 Coogs top of fourth.

3 Likes

10-4 UH win!

5 Likes