UH finds encouraging signs after another close loss

“We’re that close and we’ve been that close for a while,” said Tune, who passed for a career-high 407 yards in his most productive game since suffering a pulled hamstring Sept. 28. “We’ve just got to break through and make those plays to win the game. It’s very frustrating.”

Three losses this season have been by seven points or less: Washington State (31-24), Tulane 38-31) and SMU. UH was within four points to begin the fourth quarter in a 38-23 loss to Cincinnati and played No. 4 Oklahoma close for a half in a 49-31 loss in the opener.

“We refuse to quit,” Holgorsen said. “We refuse to give up. We refuse to not play with effort … we’re 3-5 with five close losses to five really good teams.

“We’ve got to stay the course. I have no reason to think we won’t.”

2 Likes

Every game, Marquez Stevenson is one of the fastest players on the field. The former track star showed his speed Thursday, turning a pair of quick, short passes into touchdowns of 75 and 96 yards. The 96-yard touchdown with less than five minutes remaining was the fourth-longest in school history and the longest since 1972. After beginning his career with injuries, Stevenson has become the focal point in the UH passing game the past two seasons. “I just wanted to go out there for my team and put it on the line,” he said. Stevenson finished with five catches for a career-high 211 yards.