UH new hires: Kendal Briles and Randy Clements

Do you have seat back tix? I have been trying to find some.

I can’t tell if this is a good move by Major or one of desperation. Time will tell I guess. In any event no coach or AD has had the resources available to them like the current crop
 (use Moff Tarkins voice) this had better work.

1 Like

CMA went through a scandal himself, and he was given a second chance. This is not a desperation hire. He believes that KB deserves another chance.

9 Likes

Yes Sir ! Great job CMA
excitement is back baby
Light it up boys !

Hey who was the guy that told me that dr Khator would not let this happen? Well guess what? She did. Anyway great hire. We will definitely look different on offense and we will score.

3 Likes

You are right, Cary
This was a situation where we consciously went out and hired the best people out there available who can help us win. and we didnt let scandal mongering bother us, as there isnt a hint
of proof of ANYTHING improper done by either coach.

4 Likes

If the Pres says it’s okay then go for it.

6 Likes

Every one deserves a second chance.

3 Likes

FAU is a long way from Baylor. Not to say they weren’t aware because they were, just say it’s not so sensitive with them.

KB said things that disgust me and even if he is never tried or convicted of anything, he has an uphill battle to convince me he’s a decent human being.

I assume Pezman read him the riot act on behavior so I doubt he will even visit a Hooters or Twin Peaks.

Which is more important, deceny or successful football? My opinion doesn’t count but if he stays clean and nothing else indecent surfaces about him, I’ll be content to win games with a tarnished coach.

And I do believe the tarnish can disappear but he will have to be a model citizen.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/949765751094829058

Yup. I see Applewhite making recruiting 24/7 his focus.

1 Like

GREAT HIRE!!! Thank you RK, TF, PEZ and CMA.

The Major has now been promoted to Colonel Applewhite.

7 Likes

or if applewhite doesnt pan out, he gets fired and briles promoted to hc and stay a long time.

2 Likes

There will always be a segment of fans pissed off by any hire; just look at all those who were livid when we hired Applewhite because he went to UT. True UH fans are there to support UH; not the coaches. People who pile on others because of their associations or relatives’ transgressions are pretty narrow minded and self righteous. I remember when people ran down UH because we had blacks on our teams. I care not what some hater thinks; were it not this, they would find something else.

For those couple hundred folks who don’t renew their tickets because they are pissed, there will be a couple of thousand who replace them because of an exciting offense.

15 Likes

Yup. 100% agree.

1 Like

Well, you better just move on then because Dr. Khator and Tillman Fertitta will be here for a long time and hopefully so will Pezman. If they are successful, CMA may be here for a while – or he may move to a P5.

3 Likes

Really mixed feelings here. I certainly don’t doubt his competence, and I’m certain that the offensive execution and play calling will be better with Kendall at OC.

Similarly, I believe, as a matter of principle, that no one should be forced to answer for the sins of their Fathers.

OTOH
it seems to me that it would be hard for ANYONE associated with Art Briles’ staff at Baylor to not be, in some way or to some extent, “tainted” by what happened there.

I sure hope that we’ve vetted this completely and made certain that Kendall wasn’t either a) involved in, or b) knowledgable of and tacitly accepting of, any impropriety at Baylor.

As long as we’ve done that due diligence, then I guess I’m OK with this.

9 Likes

I’ve said this here before, I worked with Kendal before he went to Waco and I never saw anything to indicate a character flaw of this magnitude. I’ve wanted him to be our OC from that time forward and am quite happy that it finally happened.

Also, I’ve met with Randy many times and really liked him as well.

9 Likes

Well, ESPN will certainly make sure it’s a story line, more so than they did for FAU games. It’s not any more or less reasonable to do so, but we’re more of a threat to the system and Kiffin is plenty of story on his own. Some people will see it as a villain narrative, like the Miami teams always were, and some people will see it as one more piece of politics/social commentary that ESPN is pushing and be PO’d by it.

Either way, I predict it will be forgotten in the end, because it’s difficult to deny that our win potential did just increase by a lot. 2019 is the real year based on the schedule, but with what UCF just did, and two P5 games coming this fall for us, we just went from hoping we can lay groundwork for '18, and then not blow it, to the NY6 slot being ours to lose this year, and the playoff being a realistic goal next year. I trust that the background checking was sober and thorough to make sure that this isn’t just a win-at-all-costs move like Baylor does. Texas hasn’t suffered from hiring a Baylor assistant, just from losing games. FAU didn’t suffer either. Nationally the connection to Baylor issues won’t be a story that gains traction, but the performance on field will be.

1 Like

“You play to win the game”