UH new hires: Kendal Briles and Randy Clements

I think the only reason people are talking about Kendal’s ‘white woman’ comment is because he said ‘white’ woman. If he said ‘Asian’ for ‘fat’ or ‘exotic’ or anything else, it’s a non-issue.

Those comments are just plain recruiting of young kids - and you’re living with your head in the sand if you don’t think other schools do it better (or worse) than that.

Bonus: This is UH - so I would say willing woman options aren’t limited to just white chicks anymore. I’d be surprised if those dorms didn’t look like a turnstile at the UN.

1 Like

Yeah but most students at uh dont care as much about football, we are a top teir research university

If I could dare to turn this thread toward Xs and Os, I’m very interested in seeing how quickly Briles and Clements can turn things around. Our OL has struggled mightily for a while now. I was never an OL, so I don’t know if that’s more related to talent, strength, scheme, technique or all of the above. Anyone on here who can speak to that?

As far as Briles’ offense, obviously much improved OL play is going to help. But he also needs really fast WRs who can get open quickly and a QB that can get the ball downfield. I think we have that QB in King, but not sure sure about the WRs. If Corbin and Lark don’t break out this year, I’m not sure it’s going to happen. We have some young speedy guys, but we don’t know anything about them yet. There is a lot of talk about how Briles can immediately turn around this offense, and he did just that at FAU, but also had the benefit of incorporating into Kiffin’s offense. Is it realistic to expect FAU-style improvement in one year given our roster and CMA at the helm? I really want to get my hopes up, but only if it’s warranted.

1 Like

Simplicity of blocking scheme and very high repetition rates in practice. The OL will look like a completely different group, but with the same players. The Briles’ offense is about muscle memory. Guys don’t even think, they just go.

4 Likes

Can anyone remember a time when UH receivers didn’t perform well? Typically we just reload. Our WR corp has become a consistent strength of the program over a period of many years. We can’t say the same about RB or OL. Corbin and Lark will be the new Bonner/Dunbar

No they won’t. lol Those are two different receiving duos.

1 Like

A few guys have performed well in the last few years, but it used to be so much better. I know the offense has morphed over the years, but you have to go back to 2011 to find a year when we had more than one 1,000 yard receiver (we were 42 Tyron Carrier yards away from having 3 1,000 yard guys that year). It seems like the last several years we have only gotten great production out of 1 guy and sometimes 2. I’m ready to get back to spreading the ball around so defenses can’t key in on 1 or 2 guys.

4 Likes

It’s been awhile since we had a really nice set of WR’s. We’ve had guys step up in big ways. But Goose you are right it’s been awhile since I’ve thought, “Man our wideputs are total liabilities.” But it Corbin wants to be a factor he needs to get his mind and have on the same page. Way too many drops.

2 Likes

The biggest issue is that king was our 3rd most productive receiver while only playing it for half the season, kings speed allows slower wr to get open but hes also the best wr we had atm

1 Like

Levine’s last season here when he had Spencer, Greenberry and Ambles as the top 3 receivers.

Greenberry had a disappointing jr season coming off his sophomore year. Dunbar was a freshman so he gets a pass. Ambles was the king of drops. Spencer got hurt mid season I believe, and Ayers was ok as a sophomore.

1 Like

If he can stay healthy, Stevenson is the one to watch next year. Kid has speed and fits this offense better than any other receiver on the roster.

4 Likes

Cleveland, Carrier, and Edwards were all over 1K in 2009.

1 Like

Yep. I don’t see us ever going back to the Case Keenum gun-slinger days, but man were those offenses fun to watch! I remember so many times getting the ball with less than a minute to go in a half and never doubting we were going to score points.

I agree, pray. For the same reason, I’m also excited to see what Jeremy Singleton and Julon Williams can bring to the table. These guys, plus Peyton Sawyer, Ja’Kori Morgan and Henry Thomas, give us a lot of athleticism coming in, but we haven’t had a chance to see them on the field yet. I’m hoping a couple of these guys can make an immediate impact, especially if Corbin and Lark can’t turn the corner.

2 Likes

Morgan looks to be a match-up nightmare. He’s 6-2, 190 and can run.

1 Like

Yup I didn’t want to mention that but you hit the nail. Definitely a politically incorrect adjective, but I would add it’s not fair to judge people on a private conversation that is later disclosed. We’d all be up the creek if that was the case.

1 Like

I thought the blocking by receivers for each other and down field was horrible this year. Bubble screens crushed by one defender who blew through or around the blocking reciever-over and over. Go Coogs.

3 Likes

All of the guys you refer to benefited from the most prolific passer in history. I don’t think it’s fair to compare Bonner/Dunbar/Ayers to them.

As for the guys next year, Corbin has to learn to catch the ball and neither he nor Lark know how to block. I believe Singleton and Stevenson will step up and provide some good competition. I know hopes were high for Stevenson until his injury last Spring.

1 Like

He might also try blocking occasionally.

Isaiah Johnson was supposed to be that guy at 6’4" and 4.4 40 time. The problem was he couldn’t catch the ball.

That offense was so loaded. Justin Johnson as a hybrid TE/WR as your 4th option. Not to mention Sims/Hayes/Beall out of the backfield. Good lord. Now I am sad again, I wanted the Sugar Bowl so bad.

2 Likes