UH ranked #20 in AP 10/31

BYU and UTSA are both ranked ahead of us and we need to pass them to get to an NY6 bowl.

UTSA is undefeated and have games at UTEP (6-2), home for Southern Miss (1-7) and UAB (5-3), then at North Texas (2-6). Their big wins were against unranked Illinois (37-30) and Memphis (31-28).

BYU is 7-2 and have games at home against Idaho State (0-8), at Georgia Southern (2-6), and at USC (4-4).

If we beat an undefeated Cincy in the CCG, then we have a legit shot of passing those two, but I would feel a lot better about it if UTSA would lose a game to either UTEP or UAB.

" Houston: The Cougars have been looking for a signature win since Dana Holgorsen took over the program in 2019. Despite nearly blowing a 17-point advantage, Houston cornerback Marcus Jones took a kick back 100 yards with fewer than 30 seconds remaining to shock No. 19 SMU and send UH on a path to the AAC Championship Game. The Cougars have not beaten SMU since Sonny Dykes took over the Mustangs, but the win moved Houston to 7-1 and clinched the first winning season for Holgorsen with the program. With the Cougars set to make a move to the Big 12, getting some on-field momentum is critical, especially if it can translate to off-field momentum."

1 Like

BYU cannot get the G5 NY6 spot because they are not in a conference. We don’t have to worry about them.

7 Likes

National: #4 in total defense

AAC: 6 in the top 10 in sacks

National:#88 in total offense

2 Likes

I don’t recall ever seeing that. 28% of top 25 are in G5 (+ byu).
Remarkable.

2 Likes

Streaming has voters able to see all the G5 games and a decade + of the huge possibilities of realignment has led to so many G5 schools going all out on football.

From the this link: 7 (w BYU 8)

There were 8 G5+BYU ranked at the end of last year. All thanks to the American. Other G5 teams have been able to ride on our coattails without actually having to go out and beat top teams.

1 Like

BYU is not eligible for the NY6 G5 bowl slot. Plus, UTSA has to be ranked ahead of us AND win their conference.

Take care of business and win the CCG and no other G5 conference champion will be ranked ahead of us.

2 Likes

Win out and UTSA will not be anywhere near us.

Book it!

7 Likes

Lets see if they’re even ranked ahead of us once the CFP rankings come out.

1 Like

I suspect that when the first CFP poll comes out Tuesday we will be ahead of UTSA….

If we are not we will be shortly.

If UTSA goes undefeated and we win out we will get the NY6 bid… One loss American team is greater than zero loss UTSA.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when the last time UH has been ranked in the top 25 in both football and basketball ?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1454897271611576323?s=20

1 Like

And to think that a lot of people here think that we’d be better off in the weak sister PAC-12.

Good grief.

3 Likes

As a fan, I care more about the conference matchups than I do about athletic department budgets. That said, Pac12 TV deal would definitely pay out more than the B12 lite is going to.

2 Likes

Houston is moving toward 10,000,000 population. When somebody in the PAC figures that out they will come.

3 Likes

The PAC could be shut of the Top 25 for five years and still have more caché. There’s a reason the B10 formed an alliance with the “weak sister”. They know they can destroy the B12 in one fell swoop. They don’t want to have to choose between the two. Same for the PAC.

As soon as a B12 member gins up its brand a little and goes to the playoff they’ll be picked off in a heartbeat.

Not according to some sources that have been posted.

We’ll see.

Let’s win next week and see where everything is.

1 Like

You’d rather play TCU, Kansas State, Iowa State, West Virginia, etc. over UCLA, Arizona, USC, Colorado, Oregon, etc.

2 Likes