UH Vintage Memorabilia

Also won this an auction over the weekend, it was a big auction of a collection that was displayed at a museum in Palestine so it may be a while before it comes in. It’s going to need a little clean up but helmets pre-2000 are super hard to find.

4 Likes

For me, seeing the skinny UH logo on a UH football helmet never gets old.

7 Likes

I did not know that he passed and now see that the website says featuring the artwork of robert hurst, they still sale the Ware and Shasta as well as Tom Paciorek (baseball), Flo Hyman and Rita Buck-Crockett (volleyball) and of course Drexler, Olajuwon and Couples. I was shocked to see the COA was dated in 2004. It is a stunning piece.

If this is same Greg I met at the Tristar show check this out, I acquired it a few weeks after we talked.

7 Likes

Tthere’s a live cougar in the car…AND HE HAS GUNS! :laughing:

1 Like

No bevels, no triangles, legible from 100 feet away. Classic.

1 Like

Got my “loot” in today!
Love when I get new stuff for the collection.

9 Likes

I have always just absolutely loved this cougar. Wish we had kept it.

6 Likes

Blue is so sexy on red!

2 Likes

Me too. It belongs in our branding. Why no one in power sees this is beyond me. Throw this out and UH branding skyrockets in coolness.

1 Like

One of my former brain cells just awoke. We ought to have a “Vintage Day” where we all wear the past Coog gear prior to a certain period of time–like maybe 10 years, etc. If we ever get on TV those dudes would freak out seeing all the old gear all over the stadium.

1 Like

I don’t know when we started that exact Cougar, I know we used some form of a similar Cougar since at least 1951,but we ran that exact one until the mid-nineties. This is the Cougar that replaced that one.

1 Like

I love the blue.

2 Likes

While we are drilling down on history I found this the other day. This is a bowl supplement Jason acquired.

This is the earliest use of the “1927” seal I am aware of. We trademarked it in May of 1970 and we must have phased it in over time because the 1970 football tickets still had the “1934” seal on them. If you look at the font of the seal it is very modern, sleek and futuristic which is inline with the fact it would have come out during the Apollo missions when Houston was truly the Space City. Some memorabilia used the 1934 seal until at least the late 1970’s, you will see UH SWC memorabilia with the 1934 seal.

FYI the cougar is by Bill McClanahan of the Dallas Morning News, he was credited with being the father of SWC cartoon mascots even though we did not start play in the SWC until after his retirement. My favorite cougar.

2 Likes

It’s cool, but in basically any other context besides the chest of a t-shirt, its shape is difficult to work. It’s too detailed, and unbalanced. IMO, the crosseyed cougar in this logo is much better.

1 Like

Just don’t give me one with bows in their fur (hair?)