UH was about to be passed on Again

The Big 12 is stable, if for no other reason, that no other P5 conference wants to expand now. Now, I’ll let you in on a little secret, it isn’t the Big 12 that’s in danger of being destroyed…it’s the ACC that is dancing in the shadow of doom. In 2036 the ACC contract expires and the SEC is going to raid them…more than likely with 4 schools that I believe will be Clemson, FSU, NCSU, and VT. After that the B1G will pick up UNC and UVA…maybe also Duke and Georgia Tech but I’m not sure the B1G wants to go to Atlanta…at any rate the left overs in the ACC will not be any shape to lure any Big 12 schools away, and instead it will be a golden opportunity for the Big 12 to go to the Big 14 or Big 20?..I can see potentially Miami and Georgia Tech being there…Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville, and of course Memphis should still be there.

1 Like

People keep saying politics kept us out in ‘96. Do you remember what shape our programs were in back then?

2 Likes

Our programs were not good, but neither was Baylor’s program.

Ann Richards, Governor, and Bob Bullock, Lt. Governor, were both Baylor graduates and they made sure Baylor was included in the Big 12. Do you think if the Governor and Lt. Governor were UH graduates, we would not have been included?

Besides, our athletic history in football, basketball, baseball, golf, track & field, etc. was second to none and would have left Baylor in the dust.

If we had a limited history of achievement in athletics, then we would have deserved to be left out, but that most certainly was not the case.

6 Likes

Yeah really! Why didn’t the guy complain when politics was the reason the Big12 picked Baylor over us the last time? Furthermore, if those schools didn’t want us in it wasn’t because we weren’t qualified to be in, it was because they were afraid of competing against us as Power5 conference mates because of their fear of competing against us on a level playing field.

If Tilman asked those politicians to talk to those chicken shites as to why we weren’t being considered despite our overwhelming qualifications than more power to Tilman and what an awesome job on his part! That is what a shrewd businessman and responsible person should do! They tried to use politics to leave us out, Tilman simply used the same political system to get us in and straighten things out with them! What’s wrong with that? Great job Tilman! Now we know why you’re such a successful businessman!

3 Likes

Mountain West . . . . .

1 Like

Did anyone ring their hands when Orrin Hatch and Mitch McConnell twisted arms? Hell no!

It was a source of pride in those two states. Political power is ultimate power.

I hope one day we have ten Tilmans dropping coins and twisting arms. I hope we’re the greatest political force in the state. The gangsta power broker alpha supreme! Step aside, clown! Leverage coming through!

3 Likes