UNC deemed most attractive to the Power 2

Cain’t say I didn’t told ya so

Report: UNC Viewed as SEC, Big Ten’s Most Attractive Expansion Target from ACC | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

1 Like

It’s a great brand, is a perfect geographic fit for the SEC, and a perfect academic fit for the B1G.

5 Likes

I wonder if FSU and Clemson are acting with NO P2 Invitation in hand (un officially) but know they do have a life boat in the Big 12, if needed.

I 100% expect Clemson and FSU to be in the P2 in some manner, most likely the SEC. Maybe they take lesser shares. Who knows.

Neither school fits the B1G profile. They do fit the SEC, but the SEC just doesn’t desperately need them.

The reason Texas got in the SEC was because the B1G would’ve snagged em right away. Texas is similar to UNC where it fits both conferences perfectly. Oklahoma was a bit of a unicorn as I don’t think the B1G would’ve had any interest, but they’re still an incredible brand to have for future TV negotiations.

FSU and Clemson aren’t really a threat to either conference, and logistically, I don’t see how the most western schools of the B1G would want to travel accross the country (not just for football) to play a school that isn’t even needed in the first place

The reason you see UNC not throwing temper tantrums via litigation right now is because they feel the most comfortable in all of this as compared to FSU and Clemson

That’s the old profile. The new profile is $$$ and how to keep up with/pass the SEC. They fit the new profile.

Makes sense. The others are redundant to the SEC at least. Academically the best one among the three for the B1G. Haven’t seen ratings or brand value data, but I imagine it’s comparable. UNC basketball is huge, obviously.

UNC, FSU, and Clemson are the only 100% lock guarantees to go to either BIG or SEC if you ask me especially with the $ being paid out in those conferences - any add need to at least pull their $ share if not increase the $ pie. Leaves a lot behind in the 2nd tier with the Big 12 which the more that get left behind the more likely a stable 2nd tier maintains itself.

Teams like VT, GT, Duke, Maryland, Wake Forest, BC, Cal, Stanford, SMU, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville are almost certainly going to be left behind in the 2nd tier.

UVA and Miami might have a shot to get into the BIG/SEC as well but they are not locks.

Maryland is in the big10 now.

1 Like

I’d rank Virginia ahead of Clemson.

Virginia is a state school in a rich state.
Clemson is a secondary city school in a poor state.

NC state government reps are working on laws to keep UNC from being able to leave other schools…

Clemson isn’t a city school. It’s fairly rural/exurban but near GSP.

1 Like

Interesting, I figured Clemson was the wealthier one between the two SC schools. Not sure why, maybe Dabo Swinney’s haircut.

Both schools have endowments under $1 billion.

UH will be in the $2 billion+ range once last fall’s funding goes through.

3 Likes

UNC system BOG making sure NC and NC st remain in ACC as anchors to league if Clemson and FSU do end up leaving…interesting…

Why wouldn’t the Board of Governors not have that power already.

Why would they need “veto” power, don’t they run the joint like our Board of Regents.

Our Board doesn’t need “veto” power, they have 1st, final and only power….like most boards do,

I doubt they’ll stop UNC from leaving even if NC State gets left behind. UNC has too many wealthy and powerful alums and boosters to let that school sink with NC State.

Good point haha I should know better lol

1 Like

Lets be honest. Wake, BC, Cal and SMU have little to no chance even for Big XII. Even if its an arms race to 24 and not 20 UConn is more attractive than BC.

2 Likes

If their NC system has veto power to prevent them from leaving the ACC and they have said they intend to use it, then the NC schools arent going anywhere…