Unlimited College Athlete Transferring is Official

Looks like college athletics and it’s multi-billion dollar industry is finally catching up with the American free market and capitalism.
:wink:

https://x.com/RossDellenger/status/1780673931721973910

3 Likes

This is insane

We live in a world now where the NFL is an easier job than college, even if you’re Alabama

Houston should do all possible to capitalize on Houston-born 4 and 5 star athletes who aren’t getting playing time and want to come back home to compete for a starting job

7 Likes

Every athlete a free agent!!!

5 Likes

Coaches are going to earn their money just trying to plan a roster from year to year. May be some new job titles on the staff.

2 Likes

Excellent, capitalism at work. Let it rip…

5 Likes

Academic eligibility? Progress toward a degree requirements? APR? Those were issues several years ago, but no more. Occasionally there is a juco guy that doesn’t have enough credits to enroll at a school, but I never hear about a kid having eligibility problems anymore. What happened?

4 Likes

I’m sure it’s still possible to not have a satisfactory number of hours completed within the NCAA’s required time frame.

I imagine it’s still possible for athletes to flunk out.

1 Like

Just like every other student!!! I like it. Previous restrictions were unfair to ‘student’ athletes.

Edit add: I’d also like to see ‘student’ athletes being required to meet admission requirements of the universities they want to go to without allowing any wavers.

2 Likes

Why is this a news event. They have it now.

2 Likes

If coaches can change schools all the time the student athletes should be able to also im all for being able to move schools

1 Like

Here’s the thing.

As you say, any other student can transfer whenever they like, so as long as the athlete is still academically eligible and making progress, I guess it’s only fair.

Right?

2 Likes

Right.

They still need to be making grades and progress to a degree…but they should be able to freely go where they want/can academically transfer to.

I love this. Play this right and we could be a top 15 program year in and year out.

2 Likes

Yep, gonna have to treat them all as free agents on a one year deal now.

1 Like

What’s next, a D3 type unlimited roster?

What are teaching these young men?

Even the NFL doesn’t have this. Pro players don’t get a guaranteed starting spot.

7 Likes

The problem is coaches have been doing the same thing for decades now. Recruiting players to a school and then leaving as soon as a better opportunity presents its self.

They have been taught loyalty does not exist.

2 Likes

Good point.

The standards to get in a school should be the same for students and athletes bc now you have some getting into UT etc that could never get in as regular students. Athletic depts would hate this bc it would mean they’d lose out on a great athlete and schools with lower standards like Boise st would become a power. So I’m for it but the schools won’t.

1 Like

I would be curious how many head coaches have been at 3-4 different schools in a 6 year period. I am guessing it is actually a low number.

Position coaches likely have many more that would fit.

Even without unlimited transfers, they had one transfer, graduate transfer, plus could apply for hardship transfers. So already had 3 options, now every year. Even coaches rarely do that.

1 Like